CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Bad shed

Old 09-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
ServantOfCthulhu
Bad shed

Hey everyone, first time snake owner here. I've had my corn Narcissa for about a month and a half. She's shed once since I've had her and it was a complete shed besides the tip of her tail (which came off pretty easy with a damp paper towel). But this time she's shedding in tiny little pieces. It looks like when a person peels from a sunburn. I read a post on here about a shed box someone made. (Putting a towel with a little room temp water into a Rubbermaid container, and putting the snake in for 20 minutes). I did that earlier today but it didn't seem to help at all. Should I be doing it every day until she's done shedding? Or is there something else I can do to help? I have a moist hide in her tank, but she doesn't care for it at all. She's never gone in it. And since I noticed her trying to shed I've been misting her tank a couple times a day.

Sent from my Vivo XI PLUS using Tapatalk

Old 09-05-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
It sounds like you're doing everything right. I would also let her slither through a damp wash cloth while you hold her if she still has some stuck pieces.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
SnakeCreations
You could also put some room temp, damp moss into a hide and leave it in the cage until your snake sheds. I remove after the shed and toss, to avoid any mold or bacterial growth.

enjoy!

-Tonya

Old 09-05-2019, 11:47 PM   #4
ServantOfCthulhu
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeCreations View Post
You could also put some room temp, damp moss into a hide and leave it in the cage until your snake sheds. I remove after the shed and toss, to avoid any mold or bacterial growth.

enjoy!

-Tonya
I have some in there right now already, but she doesn't seem to like it much. That's why I tried the shed box today, 'cause she hasn't gone near the moss at all.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:50 AM   #5
buenavides1
Is it normal for a snake to shed from time to time?

Old 09-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenavides1 View Post
Is it normal for a snake to shed from time to time?
Serious? LOL

Yes, all reptiles shed "From time to time"

Old 09-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
ServantOfCthulhu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ServantOfCthulhu View Post
Hey everyone, first time snake owner here. I've had my corn Narcissa for about a month and a half. She's shed once since I've had her and it was a complete shed besides the tip of her tail (which came off pretty easy with a damp paper towel). But this time she's shedding in tiny little pieces. It looks like when a person peels from a sunburn. I read a post on here about a shed box someone made. (Putting a towel with a little room temp water into a Rubbermaid container, and putting the snake in for 20 minutes). I did that earlier today but it didn't seem to help at all. Should I be doing it every day until she's done shedding? Or is there something else I can do to help? I have a moist hide in her tank, but she doesn't care for it at all. She's never gone in it. And since I noticed her trying to shed I've been misting her tank a couple times a day.

Just thought i'd update. Today I finally got all of the shed skin off. Took daily 20 min shed box soaking followed by having her go through a damp rag for a few minutes. I have no idea why it took so long. But my little one should feel much better now. Does anyone have any advice on preventing something like this in the future?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google