• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

"Cooked" mouse?

texasreb

I'm afraid I over-warmed my snake's mouse. It wasn't too hot when I fed it, but when my snake struck it, the mouse kinda fell apart. Not to be graphic, but the guts fell out of the mouse.

There was no way I was getting that mouse away from the snake so I hope he's going to be okay.

I bought the said mouse frozen at a big box pet store and it had been frozen continuously until I thawed it in the 'fridge yesterday. I heated it as I always do by pouring water heated in the coffee pot over the mouse.

I guess I over did it and half cooked the mouse. This has never happened before. Will the snake be okay?

I also have the problem of having an exceptionally messy 'tat to deal with. I can and will wipe up as much as I can, but there are mouse guts all over the cage.

Ugh...this is just so gross.

Haha! Yep, overcooked mice tend to do that. I've noticed that especially with Arctic Mice at PetSmart. Our water gets so ridiculously hot that they just kind of explode if I'm not careful about the temperature.

Oh yeah, he'll be fine. I had some pinkies get too COLD and shatter so I am stuck feeding mostly pinky parts to my smallest snabbers. It's pretty gross, but they never seem to complain!

I had this issue when I would microwave the water (without the mice of course), the mice would "explode"...it was so gross lol. I've since switched to just using super hot tap water (doesn't get to boiling like the microwaved water did) and just change the water as needed to make sure the mice/rats are thawed and warm.

Back