CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Not sure what size to feed

Old 04-08-2017, 05:04 AM   #1
reflextiny
Exclamation Not sure what size to feed

Got an 8 month old, 19 inch corn snake 5 days ago from South Mountain Reptiles. Don Soderberg (owner of SMR) told me he was eating medium pinkies every Thursday, but after receiving him, and people on other threads suggesting I shouldn't be feeding him large pinkies/small fuzzies, im kind of lost. Here are some pics of him.

https://imgur.com/gallery/5wRz8

https://imgur.com/gallery/cjC1e

Old 04-08-2017, 05:05 AM   #2
reflextiny
Edit: it's "SHOULD be feeding large pinkies/small fuzzies", not "shouldn't"

Old 04-08-2017, 05:54 AM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
weigh the snake.

Feed items 10% to 13% of the snake's weight.

Examples - if the snake weighs 15 grams, you'd feed a 1.6 gram pinky. If the snake weighs 30 grams, you could feed 2 pinkies totaling 3.6 grams, or a single small fuzzy of the same weight. If your snake weighs 100 grams, you'd feed a small mouse (a Hopper or small adult) weighing about 12 grams...... and so forth.

Just as a point of reference, I have records dating back to when I obtained my snake a little over 2 years ago. When I obtained Rufus, he was roughly 3 to 4 months old, was about the same size as your snake, he weighed 52 grams, and was eating large fuzzies around 6 grams each. I put him on 8 gram hoppers when he hit 75 grams. He was on small adult mice (12 to 15 grams) within a year. He's a little over 2 years old now, weighs almost 400 grams, and is just shy of 4 feet long. He's currently eating a 30 gram mouse every 10 days. (The 10% to 13% rule applies to growing babies and young snakes. Once they are adults, you can get by with a 30 gram mouse every 10 to 14 days).

If you don't have a scale and can't weigh the snake, a lot of folks go by feeding an item around 1-1/2 times the diameter of the snake's body at its thickest point. Just looking at the pics of your snake that you provided, I'm going to guess your snake could easily be eating small fuzzies right now. But pictures can be deceiving, I'd still go by weight.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
feeding, newbie, size, size mouse, snake food