CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Constipated snake, bathed, it pooped BUT what is this??

Old 04-15-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
Tracyree
Constipated snake, bathed, it pooped BUT what is this??

Our four year old corn hadn't pooped in a loooong time. Maybe a month? I know it had been three times and no poops after. I decided to try the bath thing and it worked like a charm. After just a few minutes it pooped a large amount. When I was scooping it out of the tub I noticed three hard white things about the size of a marble. They were hard, but I crushed one pretty easily. It was uniform throughout and chalky texture. I'm guessing an egg that had been inside the snake a looong time? Do you think that what it was or some crazy large calcium deposits or what?? Anything I can do to prevent?

Old 04-15-2017, 10:34 PM   #2
DollysMom
I can't answer your question because I've never seen that before. However I'm glad your snake did have success in the bath. Also welcome to the Cornsnakes.com. Glad you are here.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
daddio207
Welcome!
The three "marbles" were harden urites. Mostly made up of calcium.
As long as she/he gets plenty of water and the humidity is good it shouldn't recur often.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:32 PM   #4
Tracyree
Thanks. Been researching and agree that it was hardened urates. Checked temp with laser thermometer and even though I had the thermostat set to 89 for the under tank heater, it was way too cold in the warm side hide. I think a combo of not enough heat and not enough humidity are the issue. I'm using paper pellets are bedding, which I love, but I'm afraid it is lowering humidity. I'll need to think on that a bit.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
DollysMom
What is your humidity? In the summer, even with a/c, it should be okay. In the winter it may be low. I provide all my snakes with humid hides with damp sphagnum moss (its important that it's damp and not dripping wet) all the time. That may be your best solution. As to substrate, many of us successfully use shredded aspen. I aim for 50% humidity year round, and that's with the humid hide.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google