CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

"but i only like'em live!"

Old 03-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #11
Nanci
You shouldn't try very often. If it's an adult snake, I would offer food no more than every 10-14 days. Otherwise you condition it to refuse.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:14 PM   #12
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
You shouldn't try very often. If it's an adult snake, I would offer food no more than every 10-14 days. Otherwise you condition it to refuse.
Good call, Nanci! I had not thought of that!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #13
Marica
I agree with LBoz that it shouldn't be necessary to feed a corn rats, especially if you're basing it on the opinion that your corn is large enough to require one instead of an adult mouse. In that case, the corn is probably too large itself. If the corn is in fact overweight, feeding it rats is only going to exacerbate the problem conisdering rats have a higher fat content than mice (correct me if I'm wrong). Rats are sometimes feed by breeders to help their females regain weight after laying a clutch. Generally adult corns are fed 1 adult mouse anywhere from 2-4 weeks apart to maintain a healthy weight.

Also, so that you don't waste to much time planning ahead, it is illegal in Alberta to own/sell live rats, though frozen can be imported from other provinces.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #14
jayhimself
alright so i've concluded that i will not ever have to switch to rats. that's great. now if i want to try a fresh kill but would rather not have to manually break the mouse's neck, is there any other way of killing it humanely for feeding?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhimself View Post
alright so i've concluded that i will not ever have to switch to rats. that's great. now if i want to try a fresh kill but would rather not have to manually break the mouse's neck, is there any other way of killing it humanely for feeding?
There should be plans on this site somewhere on how to build a CO2 chamber. I have heard that this method is very quick and humane.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #16
wade
I will get slammed for saying this but if you are talking one mouse and one snake the easiest way to get fresh killed is to pick up the mouse by the tail and swing it around and smack its head on the counter top or the edge of a door. It takes an instant and the mouse is dead, hand it to the snake.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:12 PM   #17
LBoz
I learned this trick from a respected keeper on this site. It's not nice to think of, but keep your flames to yourself, por favor.

When I raised my own feeders, I would quickly grab a mouse from the tub, toss it into a pillow case and slam it hard against the wall. Instant death, no fear, no suffering, 3 seconds from tub til' death. Just make sure to slam it hard...you don't want to stun it, you want it dead. Then place it into the tub. It will stay warm hopefully long enough for your snake to be interested in it. You might even use tongs and move it around in front of him to give it the appearance of life....aka the zombie dance.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #18
jayhimself
i've heard of gassing baby mice with a co2 chamber before. is this effective with larger mice? i haven't searched the DIY section but is there an easy enough way to build one?

Old 03-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #19
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
I will get slammed for saying this but if you are talking one mouse and one snake the easiest way to get fresh killed is to pick up the mouse by the tail and swing it around and smack its head on the counter top or the edge of a door. It takes an instant and the mouse is dead, hand it to the snake.
I may of dispatched a few more than one this way.....
Was I wrong to keep doing it....

Old 03-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #20
LBoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
I may of dispatched a few more than one this way.....
Was I wrong to keep doing it....
LMAO! Well, we know where you're going now!

I only have six snakes. They all ate different sizes and it just wasn't practical enough for me to go to elaborate lengths with a CO2 chamber, even though I do have CO2 I use for aquatic plants.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google