CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

"Read Before You Post" Stickies?

Old 03-29-2005, 04:33 PM   #11
Rich Z
Well I guess there are two ways to go about this:

(1) Have a specific care sheet for each forum which could be applied as a sticky to the top of the forum for people to reference,

or

(2) Have a generalized newbie/FAQ/caresheet forum which will be READ ONLY when it is populated with the threads necessary to do what it would be designed to do. The reason for the READ ONLY mode is that without doing it this way, that one forum would become chaos pretty quickly. The reason I created this site with the forums like they are now is to try to make it easy for someone to find answers to specific questions. A general purpose, anything goes, kind of forum such as this one would completely defeated that goal.

You all just tell me how you want it to be done.

As has been indicated in this thread, sorry, but I just don't have the time to do something like this myself. Besides, I don't consider myself as an expert anyway, and don't necessarily think that my ways are the absolute best ways to do things. They just work for me.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:02 PM   #12
Joejr14
I think either way would work fine, but the question is whether or not newbies will find a FAQ forum and actually use it.

I'd be more than happy to whip a few up using caresheets provided by others, all while citing of course. Kathy has done most of that, and anything she has already written can just by copied and pasted.

Old 03-30-2005, 07:59 AM   #13
JTGoff69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets
This would also allow for a sticky post instructing newbies to "read the FAQ 'n' Manual."
ROFLMAO, leave it to you Serp!

Joe, I think it would be a great idea for you to put together some. General Care & Husbandry, Feeding (maybe include a guide to sizes of mice), & General Health Problems (i.e. mites, RI's, incomplete sheds, etc). I know it's easy for me to hand it off to you eh? lol If you need help, I'm available. And maybe it would keep you from arguing with Vinman for awhile!

Old 03-30-2005, 12:31 PM   #14
kathylove
The way I would envision it is at the top of each forum heading, such as husbandry, etc, there would be a sticky that would say something like "FAQs for new owners", or something similar. When you click on it, you might see a list of available subjects, such as "shedding problems", "snake won't feed", etc, appropriate to that sub-forum. But it would have to allow at least one person (Rich or whomever he designates) to continue to add to the subject list as other worthy FAQs are written. Then when a question is asked, somebody can direct the person first to the FAQ (if we know it is covered there) in a NICE way, "because it is covered more in depth there than we are likely to answer in a quick reply", and invite them to ask more questions after reading it. After a few times of checking the FAQs, most will get the idea. Then it should lead them to think of other questions to ask, ones that are not covered in the FAQs, leading to more interesting, in depth, observations, conversations, and debates.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:20 AM   #15
So Pirate55
I agree. FAQ's are great for noobs as well as people just looking for a read. I find myself reading them all over and on various subjects. I've often had times where i was "hmm, i didnt know that" and then i've had times where the advice was horrible. I think it'd be great on here. I doubt rich would let any bad advice slip through. Even if it did, it wouldnt stay there long considering how quick the majority of the people here are.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google