CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Summer heat question

Old 06-02-2020, 06:22 PM   #1
zerby1470
Summer heat question

So my air conditioner has decided that it doesn’t want to work very well at all and we are in the middle of a heat wave. My tanks are reading about 85 degrees ambient air - humidity is fine, about 45%. I have plenty of water set up on the side that is normally cool. There are plenty of hides and lots of aspen to burrow in, and the vivs are not in direct sunlight. Any concerns that I should be looking for or ways to better manage this until the heat breaks? I have a window fan exhausting warm room air out of the rooms with the snakes. I panicked at first when I saw the ambient temp, but am reassuring myself (hopefully not misguided) that Florida runs much hotter than this. I cannot afford to replace the AC unit at this time. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
Corn snakes can handle pretty warm temps. They do come from the Southeastern USA where temps can get much hotter than you describe.

However, in the wild they can also seek out cooler places, under a rock, down in a hole, slip into a creek, find some shade...etc....

An occasional warm day is nothing to worry about. But I would not want it to be that way all the time.

There is a reason the recommended temps for a corn snake are what they are. It's what is best for the snake.

Personally if it were me, I'd think about getting the A/C fixed. Not just for the snake but because I can't stand to live in a house that is 85 degrees myself. And if I couldn't afford to fix the A/C right now, maybe I could talk a neighbor or family member or friend into helping me home my snake for a little while.

There are very low rate loans available in many areas, that allow folks to fix or upgrade their A/C systems through their Utility companies (Gas or Electric), and in most cases the monthly payment for the new unit can be tacked onto your monthly utility bill. You might contact your local company and see if such is available. It is where I live.

And if it's 85 degrees in your house right now, what will it be in July or August? Those are typically the hotter months.

And I don't mean to be crude, but if you can't afford to pay 20 or 30 bucks a month for a new A/C unit, Then keeping a snake seems to be the least of your problems.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #3
zerby1470
Thank you for the advice. I live in a rental, and while I know I could get the purchase of a new unit spread out over the course of time in my bill, my lease states that any changes made to the place have to remain after I move. Don’t really want to donate that to my landlord. I already asked and I would not get rental credit to offset the expenditure. That’s where the lack of affordability comes in. With it being the first heat wave combined with COVID restrictions, the HVAC companies are booked out 3-4 weeks for the landlord to have come in to repair or replace the unit. This situation will not last until the end of summer. Additionally, this is hotter than most of the summer usually maintains for temps - thankfully it is projected to break in a week or so if the forecasts are to be believed. I was more looking for clarification since snakes do a great job of hiding their issues until they are larger issues, if this would be directly harmful in the interim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google