CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

A little rant on courtesy and professionalism

Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #21
bekers71
I too have notice the mob attacks lately. But some of the attacks are very provoked by certain non contributing members. They consistently give bad advice, are rude and insulting then turn around and report people for attacking them. Of course it's not any fault of their own.<--sarcasm

Not all questions should be met with an attack. Apparently the person asking the question cares some what about the animal, that's why their asking. Some times I ask questions that if I really thought about it, probably could have answered my self. But I would be greatly turned against this site if every thing I asked was met with insulting answers.

For the most part I try to help any one I can. If I am unsure of an answer I don't answer. During my short time here there's only been a couple confrontations that I've been involved in. And I eventually just stop replying because I get aggrivated.

Now..I'm going to use the "SEARCH" function for "Wayne". LOL

Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #22
crackerhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by measley View Post
EDIT: I do hope I'm not overstepping any boundaries by posting this... I usually don't post in the "insider's forum"
That shining thing under your name says, post whenever you like, especially in the Insiders Club. Great first post. Welcome!

I was thinking about what Rich posted and he's dead on. Think of how many inventions/innovations are made by people who haven't yet filled their brains with the standard operating procedures. They just think outside the envelope because they don't know any other way. Great new take on an old subject.
Terri

Old 01-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #23
wade
There are two areas that will guarantee you a quick death. Substrate and Cohabitation. If you are foolish enough to admit that you cohab your snakes on cedar shavings, I can promise the entire population of the planet will call you a dipstick. You’re toast!

The problem with that is that many new snake owners only know what they were told at the pet store and many pet stores give that kind of advise. Then they come here and get run over buy a train before they even get their feet on the ground. I’ve seen people get run off this forum before they even introduce themselves.

And the funny thing is, both of these subjects are totally confusulled with Internet bull. There is no real serious evidence that snakes are dying from bad substrate. Cedar has been shown to effect the livers of mice and rats. These are animals that constantly chew on the substrate. There are no studies on pine shavings. But if you use them 200 zealous newbees will attack you with religious fervor. “Your snakes are going to die a horrible death, TODAY.” And you will go to hell.

I think most people think cohabiting is bad. It probably is. But many people do it. And when a kid comes home from the pet store with his new pets, he has spent every dime to his name. He just bought a leaker aquarium, a heat lamp, a hot rock, a bag of cedar shavings and two beautiful cornsnakes. Now don’t tell him to throw have of that stuff away and go out and buy more stuff. His snakes won’t die this week or next. Give him some guidance and gently explain a better way. And suggest he get another tank sometime in the near future.

At least that is what I am going to do the next time I get a chance.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #24
snakewispera snr
There were two posts yesterday, with totally different styles, and they were answered totally different...
One asked about snakes on a branch... They were co-hab'd with slightly wrong temps. The OP was given advice which they took on board, and started to put thing right straight away. No drama, 60 posts and not a crossed word....
Then the video thread..... What a difference.....

I think the pack only comes out when the OP won't back down, and more to the point gets abusive....

Old 01-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #25
ghosthousecorns
Thanks for the replies.. The rant wasn't just about how the seasoned members attack newbies, it was also about the newbies that refuse to listen to wisdom from experience. Both are aggravating and both show a lack of "common courtesy" <---oxymoron since it is really not that common. I have seen it go both ways. And usually the persons' posting style, spelling, and reaction to other posters has a great deal to do with how they are perceived,
The "goodbye thread" was extremely hard not to pounce on I have to admit.. I did have to go and post a link. Seems I can't even take my own advice and stay above the fray!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #26
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
The "goodbye thread" was extremely hard not to pounce on I have to admit.. I did have to go and post a link. Seems I can't even take my own advice and stay above the fray!
Buy why should you...... Sometimes the only way to get through to people is to pounce on them and/or be rude....
I've been on the receiving end of the mob and it doesn't hurt to step back and look at why/what they are saying...

Old 01-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #27
jenneses
I see both sides of this issue, I think I've been one of those who've jumped on the newb bashing bandwagon, but in most instances I've tried to be neutral and only post something constructive to the situation. Some threads I've stayed away from completely as far as posting, but have read avidly. I've tried to be "professional" as much as possible, but some people have really irritated me.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #28
LBoz
I think we're all going to hell. I'll drive.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #29
vetusvates
Well, Jen, I just got through typing a long verbose poetic reply to your OP, and I got logged out and lost it, because it was so long before I clicked "post reply".
Anyhoo. Thanks for the OP.
I've been thinking about it ever since I read it yesterday.
I don't take it as an admonishment, but as a logical, gentle, and timely reminder of forum etiquette.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #30
carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
There are two areas that will guarantee you a quick death. Substrate and Cohabitation. If you are foolish enough to admit that you cohab your snakes on cedar shavings, I can promise the entire population of the planet will call you a dipstick. You’re toast!

The problem with that is that many new snake owners only know what they were told at the pet store and many pet stores give that kind of advise. Then they come here and get run over buy a train before they even get their feet on the ground. I’ve seen people get run off this forum before they even introduce themselves.
Yep. Did you know that I lost my second corn to egg binding when she was just 18 months old?
The pet store told me I could keep them together, after all, they kept all their breeders together, not just by pairs either, they had about seven adult snakes of mixed sex all together. They also told me that the male would not be fertile unless he was brumated, so even when I witnessed mating behavior I didn't separate them because I was told he was shooting blanks.
At the time there was not a lot of info to find on keeping cornsnakes so I followed the advice of the pet store. (When I finally found the KS forums I thought I won the knowledge lottery) I don't think many of us are put on this planet knowing that the people who sell you a pet can give some of the worst advice ever. I don't think taking a pet stores advice is a mistake worthy of being shamed. There is a lot more info out there now, but still most people rely on the pet store for info and don't research until they are in trouble. Then again, like I said before, the people asking for advice have to be ready to accept it and not become inflammitory. It's great to ask why and for back up on reasoning, but don't say "I already heard something different, this is what I WANT to believe and the rest of you are losers for telling me different."
I recently bought fish from a store that specializes in fish and I told them these fish were going into the same tank and they gladly sold them to me. Now I'm doing some research and I'm being told to expect world war 3 in my tank. I know I should have known better.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google