CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Signature area use - specifically, dragon images

Old 03-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #21
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol View Post
I don't see how it can slow down those on dial up unless they click on it? Besides, there are google ads on every page too, I accidentally click them all the time, does this help earn it's keep at all? I'd imagine it's a top earner for the forum as far as google ads views/clicks.
I think I was unclear earlier. I don't read the DYK thread on dial-up because it's so slow. I don't honestly know if the whole site is slower now or not. I'd hate to see DYK go away because it's a fun, community kind of thing. My thought was that the DYK thread itself might be readable for me without dragons to slow it down. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #22
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol View Post
Besides, there are google ads on every page too, I accidentally click them all the time,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
No kidding- I click ads by accident all the time!
Google Ads? What are those?

D80

Long live Ad Block Plus!!!

Old 03-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #23
Nanci
Ads just don't bother me, for some reason. And every once in a while there is something that I am actually interested in! The teeth whitening ads were disturbing, though.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:45 PM   #24
LBoz
ad-clicks are a quick and easy way to support the site, especially if one isn't able to be a contributor.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #25
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
Hmmm. I'd hate to delete the "DYK" thread, because so many people like it. I don't know if it affects site performance or not. But maybe we should at least examine the option of deleting that thread and starting a new one.
Why don't you make a DYK poll.... For or against.... It could be your second poll Dean.... LOL

Old 03-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #26
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
Why don't you make a DYK poll.... For or against.... It could be your second poll Dean.... LOL
Hah! Well, I did bring up the topic in the mod forum. Rich can decide what he wants to do, if he wants to do anything at all.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #27
jazzgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
Hmmm. I'd hate to delete the "DYK" thread, because so many people like it. I don't know if it affects site performance or not. But maybe we should at least examine the option of deleting that thread and starting a new one.

The number of posts in a particular thread won't significantly impact your pageload times, unless you're in that thread. And then, graphic images and hotlinked images (like the dragon eggs) will impact the pageload more than the thread posts themselves.

Moral: If you don't like the DYK thread, don't go into it. Displaying the fact that it has "New Posts" doesn't impact your throughput to any significant degree.

But yeah, given the volume of posts, it's possible that "DYK" could "break" the vBulletin software....that's dependent upon what type of data structure is used to tally the aggregate number of post counts.

Dale
(it's a mySQL thing)

Old 03-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #28
snakewispera snr
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek View Post
The number of posts in a particular thread won't significantly impact your pageload times, unless you're in that thread. And then, graphic images and hotlinked images (like the dragon eggs) will impact the pageload more than the thread posts themselves.

Moral: If you don't like the DYK thread, don't go into it. Displaying the fact that it has "New Posts" doesn't impact your throughput to any significant degree.

But yeah, given the volume of posts, it's possible that "DYK" could "break" the vBulletin software....that's dependent upon what type of data structure is used to tally the aggregate number of post counts.

Dale
(it's a mySQL thing)
I'm not really up on computers, or anything web, but doesn't your third paragraph contradict your first paragraph..... ????

Old 03-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #29
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgeek View Post
I'm not sure why some members oppose that thread so vehemently. It's not my thang, so I don't post in it often, but it doesn't bother me in the least. Why would it? Maybe some members get sick of seeing it near the top of the "New Posts" listings all the time.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #30
LBoz
<---- no hable geek.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google