CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How to tell when snake is comfortable with new home?

Old 06-11-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
MatCat
How to tell when snake is comfortable with new home?

Greetings, new snake owner, got a 2 mo old corn I just got in yesterday morning, I am curious to know what to keep an eye for to tell when she is comfortable and ready to eat and such, she is super hidey right now and seems to be mostly sleeping (though I did notice she was active early in the morning for a short period of time).

Also how long will they typically hang out on heat source vs cold side? I noticed since this morning she has been sleeping basically on the edge of the heat mat zone (thermostat set to 83, IR temp reading confirms).

Old 06-11-2020, 07:24 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Usually the standard is waiting a week to feed and handle after bringing a new snake (especially a baby) home. You can help make her comfortable by providing lots of hides and ground cover. Fake leaves from the dollar store and toilet paper tubes cut in half make great hides for baby corn snakes. Hiding a lot is completely normal, even after they've settled in.

Usually they will only move to the warm side after eating to aid in digestion, unless your cool side is really cold. But at 83 degrees, it's not a concern that she's staying on the warm side.

Once you've given her a week to settle in, you can try feeding her. And then don't handle her for 2 or 3 days after she eats.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #3
MatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
Usually the standard is waiting a week to feed and handle after bringing a new snake (especially a baby) home. You can help make her comfortable by providing lots of hides and ground cover. Fake leaves from the dollar store and toilet paper tubes cut in half make great hides for baby corn snakes. Hiding a lot is completely normal, even after they've settled in.

Usually they will only move to the warm side after eating to aid in digestion, unless your cool side is really cold. But at 83 degrees, it's not a concern that she's staying on the warm side.

Once you've given her a week to settle in, you can try feeding her. And then don't handle her for 2 or 3 days after she eats.
Yeah I have her in a exo-terra 36x18x12, a bit large at her age but I have tons of stuff in there, a cork log, a half log, an egg shaped small hide, a few fake plants, a really long fake firn vine that is wrapped all over thte place, so she has a LOT of hide and cover options .

Old 06-11-2020, 08:46 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
Sounds perfect for her!

Old 06-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #5
MatCat
She spent the last 24 hours pretty much in the same spot, she moves aound a little within the area she is in, but really seems to have just slept for 24 hours mostly, is this normal for a baby snake getting used to a new home? I am sure I am being overly worried about it but just want to ask .

Old 06-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
MatCat
Still in that same spot since I reported earlier.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:11 PM   #7
hypnoctopus
In my experience, baby corn snakes often throughly explore a new environment, generally in the evening or early morning. Is she in blue?

Old 06-12-2020, 10:17 PM   #8
MatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
In my experience, baby corn snakes often throughly explore a new environment, generally in the evening or early morning. Is she in blue?
I am not sure to be honest, this is pic I got from today, you tell me hehe

Old 06-14-2020, 01:55 PM   #9
MatCat

I am started to get a bit worried in that she has not left this spot in 4 days now, she adjusts her body a little bit, responds to me shining a light in there, or gentle touches through the paper towel, but she has not left this spot in 4 days, her eyes have certainly cleared up since she came so I am sure she is in blue ready to shed, but is sitting in the same spot for 4 days normal for a baby that just got shipped / rehomed / in blue? I have no idea its just concerning that she has not moved at all (from the cave / spot).

Old 06-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #10
MatCat
4 1/2 days now without leaving this spot, I wish I could find someone to actually talk to its disconcerting for this for days and I can't find anyone to actually talk to me about this .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google