• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New snake owner in Brampton Ontario

Well Kori is a bit hesiatant to let me handle her :( She keeps tryignt o get away when i try to pick her up :( and she flinches when i get close to the Viv, even just walking by. My baby is scared of me :(

Now onto a question that i am so confused about cause people are telling me diffrent things.

I was told to feed her 1 fuzzy every week. Then i was told 1 fuzzy every 5 days. The guy at the store i bought her from said every 5 days and teh guy at an other store told me every 7 days.

Witch is right??

Ugh so may decisions!! lol

any opinions on this?

Well, she will get used to her. Just keep going by her cage, even without picking her up is fine, and she'll realize that when you go past, she's not going to get hurt. When she stops flinching so much, handle her above her enclosure for half a minute, then put her back. After a while of doing that, she'll be more and more comfortable with you.
Even I will pick up my snake for a minute then put him back, just so he remembers that I won't hurt him. :) I mean, as long as he's not digesting or being fed that day. :p

Well, if a couple people tell you five, and a couple tell you seven, then why not feed every six days?

I suppose the more exposure she get's to me the better. :)

haha every 6 days huh? good math :p

I suppose i can go by how she digests. If i see after 5 days she has digested i will try feeding her. go week by week i suppose

Yup, but just remember that they can digest in as little as a day, depending on the snake, so you must remember not to overfeed her. Just go with how hungry she is when you feed her.

a day? wow that's some strong stomach acide lol

ya will just have to go by how she reacts. tomorrow is 5 days so will give it a try and see how she reacts. :)

Yup. Or at least, that's all it really takes for some snakes to have digested enough to be handled again. I usually give mine (granted, he's older) at least twenty-four hours to digest before handling again.

Sounds good. :)

so what's the diffrence between a snow and a bubblegum corn?
Kori has been called both by people. lol

is there a definitive way of telling?

A bubblegum is a certain style of snow.
Basically, the bubblegum's saddle rings are more green, and the saddles themselves are a bit more orange - as well as most have very yellow necks.
I believe.... I'm not completely certain but that's what I've seen.

The term 'saddle' is applied to the pattern that is common on a corn snake's back. If you'll notice, there's the main colour of the snake, and as it gets closer to the spine, you have different coloured circles/ovals that are lined with a different shade or colour. The ovals are what are called 'saddles'.
For example, on the snake below the saddles are a reddish brown, the borders a thin black, and the body is a tan-grey:
corn-snake-web-i7316.jpg

Hiiii :) Sorry I'm changing the subject.

There is this pet store out in Oshawa that sell mice for a lot cheaper. I think I got my pinkies for about 70 cents each in bulk.....though I forget how many I bought unless I go and count them....

Anyways they're called D&D Exotics :)

ahhhh cool :)
thanks Chaos :)

I gotta take a closer look at Kori see what she is :p

The term 'saddle' is applied to the pattern that is common on a corn snake's back. If you'll notice, there's the main colour of the snake, and as it gets closer to the spine, you have different coloured circles/ovals that are lined with a different shade or colour. The ovals are what are called 'saddles'.
For example, on the snake below the saddles are a reddish brown, the borders a thin black, and the body is a tan-grey:
corn-snake-web-i7316.jpg

Hiiii :) Sorry I'm changing the subject.

There is this pet store out in Oshawa that sell mice for a lot cheaper. I think I got my pinkies for about 70 cents each in bulk.....though I forget how many I bought unless I go and count them....

Anyways they're called D&D Exotics :)

Do tehy have a website? i couldn't find a site for them.
Are tehy still in business?

lol

I found a place called Squamata reptiles in mississauga. If you get 25 fuzzies they come to 80 cents each. that's not bad.

Yes they are still in buiness lol But they have just moved about a month ago and they're new website isn't up yet.

I'll keep Squamata Reptiles in mind when my snake moves on to fuzzies :)

Hey all! Not to be a creeper, but I'm new to this site (and snake owning) and have been reading over these posts! Lots of useful information!!! :) And Kori is BEAUTIFUL!!! Seeing all these cool snakes is making me sad that my corn snake is plain hahaha but he's beautiful to me anyway!!!

I've been holding my little guy every day for about 20-30min a day and by the third day or so he was very very mellow and calm. I didn't hold him yesterday or today though because I fed him early afternoon yesterday and am letting him digest it before handling him. He was scared of me at first, like Kori is of you, but he's fine with me now. Just a little skittish if I move too fast, but he's even getting more comfortable with that. Kori will in time too :)

Thanks Sayjoo13

your little guy looks awesome whata re you talking about? :)

I started just putting my hand in the viv for a few mins to let her smell it and see it is not there to hurt her. she is doing ok with that and lets me get my had close to her but as soon as i touch her she darts away. makes it hard to catch her to move her to her feeding tank.

When I do hold her she is actively trying to get away all the time.
I know in time she will get better. :)

Thank you! And wow! Cool vid! haha No matter how many snakes I see eat, I'm always amazed at how far they can open their mouths haha I saw Lestat yawn last night, which I thought was interesting. I didn't know snakes yawned. (I feel kind of stupid now, because I suppose ALL animals yawn lol) But, that was a pretty cool sight to see!

Did you feed Kori double pinkies before upgrading to fuzzies? Or did you go straight from one pinkie to one fuzzy the next feeding? I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do when the time comes to upgrade my little guy

Sayjoo13 I have only had Kori for like 2 weeks now. The store guy said she was eating 2 pinkies every 4-5 days.
My first feeding when i got her the guy told me to give her 3 pinkies. Well i bought 4 so my friend who works at a petsmart said if she is still hungry give her all 4. so I did and she scarfed them all down no problem.

Then i found out from the guru's here that thatw as too much. so I just went to 1 fuzzy now every 5 days.

They told me when i got her that she was very small for her age and that may be why she is eating so much. She certainly has no problem eating now lol :p

Ooh ok! :) I still have about 5 pinkies, so I'm going to give Lestat one every 5 days, then upgrade him to one fuzzy every 5 days. I swear he's grown in just the 6 days that I've had him, but maybe its just my eyes playing tricks on me. I think he could handle a fuzzy, but I'll let him finish of the box of pinkies I bought first

Back