• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

HATCHLING THREAD (VOL. 3) 2014-2015 Edition

Still new to snakes and know little about any others besides corns, so those black rats will be pitch black like the ones in your link when they're older?

Only the normal one (top right).

Black Rats - Normal, Leucistic, and Het Leucistic displaying it's incomplete dominance phenotype.

Thank you Chip. If I'd have comprehended what he wrote in the post I would have got that lol. Ding dong me lol.

Are there big differences between a rat and a corn? I know they are both Colubrids. Are they as aggressive as I've heard they are?

Are there big differences between a rat and a corn? I know they are both Colubrids. Are they as aggressive as I've heard they are?

They are closely related. The Rats tend to get larger than Corns sometimes 6-7+ feet in length. Average being 5-6.

The line I have from a wild population seems to be very docile, while the Lucy line seems to be a bit more nippy. Nothing a little handling couldn't fix IMO.

Sorry for the late reply. :sidestep:

Here are some Non-Corn hatchlings.

Black Rats - Normal, Leucistic, and Het Leucistic displaying it's incomplete dominance phenotype.

Oh, wow! I always loved leucy black rat snakes, but I didn't realize the het for leucy had such a different phenotype. What do they look like as adults?

Can someone tell me what kind mines may be? :) had him 6 years though. My neighbor had two corns and that's why I got one, just love him to bits. He's never went for or bitten me. He so laid back and always handled when appropriate :) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414412133.981950.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414412160.281125.jpg

4 pages in and I have to get sent a link to get here...time to get my head out of the sand I guess LOL. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the babies Steve!! Can't wait to see what fun stuff pops out this year!

Thanks for the link my friend :)

4 pages in and I have to get sent a link to get here...time to get my head out of the sand I guess LOL. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the babies Steve!! Can't wait to see what fun stuff pops out this year!

Thanks for the link my friend :)

Haha, no problem Terri. Enjoy all the ugly pics I post over the next few months.

Ok so here's a new development. From the Classic (Het Striped Amel,Cinder, Ghost) clutch I hatched out two strange "Ghost" Corns. It's hard to see the actual color on the photos but look at the ground color comin! What really strikes me the most though is the Ventral side blotches. Those are waaaay to orange for any Anery types. And these are very typical on Kastanies and Sunrise Hatchlings. Hypo Kastanies maybe??

Whatever they are I'm eagerly awaiting these two to shed their first skins.

I posted a side view of a Sunrise so you can see what I mean about those orange lower side blotches.

Attachments

• DSCN4466.JPG
    DSCN4466.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 330
  • DSCN4465.JPG
    DSCN4465.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 328
  • DSCN4467.JPG
    DSCN4467.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 325
  • DSCN4468.JPG
    DSCN4468.JPG