CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

the just

Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
gob144
the just

ok so here the story so far.
I brought home my corn 1 week and 2 days ago. He came from a reptile zoo type place so he hasn't been handled much in his 3 year life. I handled him every day after i brought him home until i found out they need a settling in period. I fed him this Saturday because that is his feeding day. So Saturday is the last day iv disturbed him. After he ate he explored the viv for a while then went into his hide. Hes been there the whole time as far as i know.
how long should i expect him to hide for?

Well he eventual not be so shy and show him self more often?

His viv is in the living room which is one of our busier rooms and the tv is on often could this effect him?

thanks

Old 07-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Sweetseraph
You will probably not see him for 2 days after he eats, since he's digesting. Depending on the snake, you might not see him during the day much, since they're nocturnal. I wouldn't put him right beside the TV, if you can help it, but in the same room should be fine. I usually wait until I've gotten at least 2 meals into them to start handling a bit, but even then, I would just go really slow, not doing any major amounts of handling and not every day. Some will say to leave them alone longer and I don't think that's a bad thing. You've got many, many years of handling ahead.

To answer your question, will he eventually not be so shy, that totally depends on the snake. Some are out a lot, some not so much. I have one that's out and about a fair amount, but she's actually the one who's a little more skittish to hold. Some of mine that hide more are more mellow to hold. They all tend to be out and about more when it's getting close to feeding day and I use this partly as a guide of how much to feed them. If they aren't cruising a bit, I may delay feeding.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
gob144
thanks for the info. His viv is not right beside the tv but it is in the same room. Iv fed him twice but i think ill wait until friday to handle him. Im getting a heat control device to regulate his heat pad so ill have to take him out to install it anyways.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #4
tspuckler
Corn snakes spend the vast majority of their time hiding. In addition, their active times are usually in the evening and/or when the lights are out.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
Stormy
It really depends on the snake and over time you will learn your snakes personality. Right now I have one who hides all the time unless shes hungry but she isnt even a year old yet. Another that is always out if we are in the room, and she always has to be somewhere where she can at least be peaking out and watching what we are doing. Another comes out at night when he is in the mood or when he smells meat cooking (no clue on this one).
Then theres our ball pythons, one if she hears us watching "tv" on the computers she comes out and arranges herself so she can watch also.
So it really depends on your snakes personality and over the coming weeks you both will learn about each other.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google