• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cohabbing Misfortunes.

i think that vivarium is a better option for snake than small racks, it is interesting how in my country people judge keeping snakes in the racks, and on the other hand, keeping them in that way is aceptable in your country, i can ashure you that nobody in our forums and among snake keepers that i know, didnt have any problem with co-habitated corns. Is it because they kept in big vivariums with lots of hiding and klimbing spots, or just pure luck, i really dont know. I have female ball python , 3 years old, she was my first snake, i didnt have corns until few weeks , but all breeders here co-habits corns, not all of them. Nobody have problems with snakes, only mature males were kept solitary. Im not trying to make this sound ok or right thing to do, i just talk about experience that our breeders and keepers have here.

Weda's 2 cents. First of all, I typically do not cohab but until I get moved in about a month I'm keeping a pair of adult breeding sized corns together, my male I raised from a baby, 7 yrs old. And a 3 year old 300+g female I hatched out myself. They are separated when fed and left apart until that crazy feeding response calms down and they both just want to curl up and digest. They have only been together a couple months and will be separated again when I get moved. I just don't want you guys to think I'm hiding anything. But here's my little fun fact, I used to breed betta fish and in one of the books I read another breeder raised their betta fry with guppy fry and noticed a big difference in the growth of those bettas compared to fish raised alone. Not that I condone cohabbing, but I read a few pages back something about size difference and it just made me think of it. I'm full of random thoughts. I personally set my babies up in tubs separated as quick as they come out of their eggs.

i think that vivarium is a better option for snake than small racks, it is interesting how in my country people judge keeping snakes in the racks, and on the other hand, keeping them in that way is aceptable in your country, i can ashure you that nobody in our forums and among snake keepers that i know, didnt have any problem with co-habitated corns. Is it because they kept in big vivariums with lots of hiding and klimbing spots, or just pure luck, i really dont know. I have female ball python , 3 years old, she was my first snake, i didnt have corns until few weeks , but all breeders here co-habits corns, not all of them. Nobody have problems with snakes, only mature males were kept solitary. Im not trying to make this sound ok or right thing to do, i just talk about experience that our breeders and keepers have here.

You are not going to listen to anyone, so do what you want. How big is your viv?

She put her ball sometimes with corns, i would do something like that with my snakes, my ball is in her own terrarium, in europe, it is custom to co-habits the corns, same sex pairs or group of females in large enclousure, other species are housed on their own, but corns are often co-habiting

sorry, i must corect myself, i aimed to write that i would not do something like that to my snakes- i didnt realize that before

I'm curious as to why someone thinks that cornsnakes are okay to cohabitate and other species are not. I live in South Carolina where cornsnakes are found....I have not found one species of snake-corns included-that were found together. I always found one snake at a time. For the most part there are no species of snake that lives together. Rattlesnakes may den up together (and that's not all species) in fall in order to make the most of a den site in cold weather but soon disperse once they come out of hibernation. Garters gather together in huge numbers for breeding but once it's over, they are on their own. It is not natural for snakes to live together and before someone pipes in with it's not natural to keep them in a cage either...you are correct...but why create that added stress of not only caging but keeping cage mates that are neither wanted nor desired. And..when you say same sex, I could probably find a few hundred posts without even working at it, about accidental breedings by "same sex" snakes. Two males together are asking for fights as well..especially if you have females in the room.

Corn vivarium is L-1m, W-50cm , H- 80 cm , they are young and small , if they stay together, they will get much bigger, because i love animal housing to look nice, with wood, some plants and glass, so i could see them when they are not in hide spots

I'm curious as to why someone thinks that cornsnakes are okay to cohabitate and other species are not. I live in South Carolina where cornsnakes are found....I have not found one species of snake-corns included-that were found together. I always found one snake at a time. For the most part there are no species of snake that lives together. Rattlesnakes may den up together (and that's not all species) in fall in order to make the most of a den site in cold weather but soon disperse once they come out of hibernation. Garters gather together in huge numbers for breeding but once it's over, they are on their own. It is not natural for snakes to live together and before someone pipes in with it's not natural to keep them in a cage either...you are correct...but why create that added stress of not only caging but keeping cage mates that are neither wanted nor desired. And..when you say same sex, I could probably find a few hundred posts without even working at it, about accidental breedings by "same sex" snakes. Two males together are asking for fights as well..especially if you have females in the room.

I would love to know the answer to that as well. Why do some people think that cornsnakes ok to co hab while other snakes aren't?

And I know all about accidental breedings by "same sex" snakes kept together. I have a dead female to show for it too......

I dont know, i just wrote that im first time corn owner, im not zoologist, i know that people here keeps corns together, females mainly, and i mean females, i didnt hear that female can make other female pregnent, death female is result of missexing i supose

I dont know, i just wrote that im first time corn owner, im not zoologist, i know that people here keeps corns together, females mainly, and i mean females, i didnt hear that female can make other female pregnent, death female is result of missexing i supose

Well yes they were mis sexed, but if they were not kept together that female would not be dead.

And corns are just like other snakes. They do not gather together in nature, and they should not be kept together in captivity. It is not natural for them.

Why do people over there think that corns are not like other snakes and can be kept together when it is not true?

Young and small = worse problems than adults cohabbed. That cage is about a good enough size for a single adult corn.

it should be fine for a year or so, i will make them something bigger when they grow, if i separate them, one will stay in that vivarium and for another i will make similar to this one, i do not have space for two much larger vivariums

Babies do seem to be much worse for cannibalism, just sayin' when I was just starting out and didn't know about using tubs I cohabbed hatchlings and several times I had to separate one from another's mouth, luckily none were hurt. That was only with one clutch. One single clutch and several instances of attempted cannibalism.

Well well well since this thread started nearly a year ago, SnakeAround can no longer say that nothing has happened, as she had a death that a few of us feel was a direct result of co habbing. Then she showed some pics of her set up, and the vivs shown were large enough to house ONE animal comfortably.

I just wanted to describe the situation so people can form their opinion themself. I put a corn accidentally in a kingsnake vivs and the corn was eaten by the king. It could happen because I usually close the glass sliding doors of a viv because there is another snake in it and/or I want to keep in the warmth. Now I remove the keys from the locks of my kings as a 'wake up' should I want to open it accidentally when they are in it and feed them last so it can not happen again. Starsevol sees this as a direct result of co-habbing since if there would have been one snake in a cage, I could have left any viv open when a snake is taken out and could not have made the mistake. I do understand her reasoning, but to me that is indirect and not direct, further I have introduced a new habit to prevent it.

Still, over here my vivs are considered big enough for co-habbing, as is my viw with my two boa constrictors (of which I decided to sell one because she is harassed by her cage mate now and than). Those are just different opinions/habits over here. If it would be so bad for our snakes, resulting in illnesses or deaths, I'm pretty sure the habits would have changed by now.

I have told about this so many times, it will allways be a topic we won't agree about, though some USA people do see the difference between monitored co-habbing in large vivs versus squishing a handfull of snakes in a viv that is way too small without quarantine or any idea what a stressed snake would look like.

I have told about this so many times, it will allways be a topic we won't agree about, though some USA people do see the difference between monitored co-habbing in large vivs versus squishing a handfull of snakes in a viv that is way too small without quarantine or any idea what a stressed snake would look like.

i didnt have to quarantine my snakes because they both came from same source, so their vivarium is their quarantine cage. I think that my girls have more space in their viv than lots adult snakes in smal racks

If you actually HAD a large viv that might be another story.....the vivs you posted are large enough for ONE snake to be comfortable.
Knock racks all you want but over here our snakes have lots of space to stretch out and no stress from cagemates they wouldn't go near if they were given a choice......

My snakes can stretch and have some stuff to climb on too. Further they do have a choice to avoid a cage mate, each viv has multiple warm spots and hides. Yet, they are in the same hides and spots a lot. If they would really hate to come in contact with cage mates, they would choose different spots much more of the time I think. But this discussion won't eve stop and I am pretty sure hardly anything will change in the general consensus both in the USA and in Europe. I have been in the hobby since 2005 and so far co-habbing is still not frowned upon in Europe, whilst many are against using tubs in general.

My snakes can stretch and have some stuff to climb on too. Further they do have a choice to avoid a cage mate, each viv has multiple warm spots and hides. Yet, they are in the same hides and spots a lot. If they would really hate to come in contact with cage mates, they would choose different spots much more of the time I think. But this discussion won't eve stop and I am pretty sure hardly anything will change in the general consensus both in the USA and in Europe. I have been in the hobby since 2005 and so far co-habbing is still not frowned upon in Europe, whilst many are against using tubs in general.

And I have been in the hobby since 1995 (with rosy boas) and 1996 (with corn snakes) and I have seen pics you posted of your vivs!! Just big enough for a snake to avoid it's own poop, but definately not big enough for 2!!! Tubs are spacious, lightweight and easy to clean. I don't know about *all* european snake keepers, but I do know that you're doing it wrong!!

I am just tired of us getting accused look down upon for racks when our housing is actually larger. My cohab tank is 110 gals!! Not 20 or 30. My rake system has clear tubs that have multiple hides and things to climb on and they are individually house in a size that you cohab. Don't give me the crap saying your snakes have more room and more enriched environments. All of my snakes are housed in 20 to 55 gal size houses except babies who have 10 gal and you know what? When I run out of room I don't get more snakes. I don't cohab for my benefit.

I am just tired of us getting accused look down upon for racks when our housing is actually larger. My cohab tank is 110 gals!! Not 20 or 30. My rack system has clear tubs that have multiple hides and things to climb on and they are individually house in a size that you cohab. Don't give me the crap saying your snakes have more room and more enriched environments. All of my snakes are housed in 20 to 55 gal size houses except babies who have 10 gal and you know what? When I run out of room I don't get more snakes. I don't cohab for my benefit.

Those are the two biggest points!

The space my adults have in a rack system is larger than to cohab vivs I've seen. Plus, if I don't have space to house them properly, I don't get another animal. Period.

I NOT will jam animals into far to small cages with other animals just so I can own more.

Don't even get me started on keeping two different species together. That is pinnacle of ridiculous. No one with a bit of sense would keep reptiles from two totally different habitats together. You are not giving either species what it needs. Sure they can live like that for a while, but will start to see a decline in long term health and life span. I have zero respect for anyone who does that.

Back