CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Want an edit button and other perks? Become a contributing member! Click here.

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

List of Feeding Tricks for Non-Feeders
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
Nanci
List of Feeding Tricks for Non-Feeders

Try these first two, in this order, before anything else. I recommend feeding in a very small deli-cup, with the cup covered so the snake can't see out, in the evening.

** Boiled (not just super-hot)
** Original Ivory Dish Liquid

* Live Pink (do not slit or brain- do feed to another snake if not taken after 24 hours)
* Chicken Fat
* Chicken Bouillon
* KFC Chicken Fat
* Raw Chicken Juice
* Dawn Blue Liquid
* Joy Liquid
* Slit/brained
* Rat-scented
* F/T Rat-Brain-scented
* Bird-scented
* Anole-scented
* Mediterranean Gecko-scented
* Tuna-scented
* Live Guppy-scented
* Washed and rinsed
* Turtle Food-scented
* Hot Dog Juice-scented
* Dirty Mouse Bedding-scented
* Different Mouse Source!
*Washed with Windex, then rinsed
*
* After trying everything, cycle through boiled, Ivory, chicken fat, Dawn again

***************
* Feed in deli cup, covered up
* Feed in small closed paper bag
* Feed overnight in viv
* Remove water dish for 24-48 hours, then feed hot, wet pink
* Feed on top of a running washing machine (don't let the container fall off!)
* Feed after a ride in the car
* Ship to someone else for feeding
* Skip a meal- let it get hungry (if you are tease feeding)
* Feed during a thunderstorm- also works for Western hognose

This is how to get any baby that will strike, to feed.
 
Old 07-21-2013, 02:15 AM   #2
BSLMichael
Soooo I have tried ALOT of the stuff you mentioned.

I have tried Dirty mouse bedding, slit/brained, joy, dawn, washed, hot dog, rat, chicken fat, Dog food, Cat food, tuna, Coffee, Deli cup, overnight, remove water, feed after car ride...

Waited 3 days 5 days 7 days 10 days in between some. None of those worked and he was looking thin so I force fed a pinky head... When do I try again and what do I start with?

I do have access to gerbil bedding, Unfortunately live around here is soooo hard to find been looking for a long time. And my mice eat their babies before I even know they are born (They will be snake food shortly)

I am not really all that panicked more... disappointed. hope the little one makes it though.

edit: Also tried cutting the pinky up into 3rds an boiled... Each time I left 2 pinkes over night prepared different ways >.<

And when should I let go?
 
Old 07-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLMichael View Post
Soooo I have tried ALOT of the stuff you mentioned.

I have tried Dirty mouse bedding, slit/brained, joy, dawn, washed, hot dog, rat, chicken fat, Dog food, Cat food, tuna, Coffee, Deli cup, overnight, remove water, feed after car ride...

Waited 3 days 5 days 7 days 10 days in between some. None of those worked and he was looking thin so I force fed a pinky head... When do I try again and what do I start with?

I do have access to gerbil bedding, Unfortunately live around here is soooo hard to find been looking for a long time. And my mice eat their babies before I even know they are born (They will be snake food shortly)

I am not really all that panicked more... disappointed. hope the little one makes it though.

edit: Also tried cutting the pinky up into 3rds an boiled... Each time I left 2 pinkes over night prepared different ways >.<

And when should I let go?
I think you should look at my two threads, Diary of a Non-Feeder, and OMG Three Babies Ate. Try Ivory washed, with Ivory scent still on the pink. Try live. Try chicken fat scented. Have you tried slap feeding like the video in Susan's forum? And if you want, I can have Rich pick the baby up from you on his way down here in two weeks and I'll try my best with it.

It's difficult to answer when to give up, if you are assist feeding. You can keep a baby going on tails/tease feeding pinks for months. It depends on how valuable that baby is to you and if you have the patience for it. I know they can drive you absolutely insane. With big breeders, I don't think non-feeders get a lot of chances. Maybe three or so.
 
Old 07-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
BSLMichael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I think you should look at my two threads, Diary of a Non-Feeder, and OMG Three Babies Ate. Try Ivory washed, with Ivory scent still on the pink. Try live. Try chicken fat scented. Have you tried slap feeding like the video in Susan's forum? And if you want, I can have Rich pick the baby up from you on his way down here in two weeks and I'll try my best with it.

It's difficult to answer when to give up, if you are assist feeding. You can keep a baby going on tails/tease feeding pinks for months. It depends on how valuable that baby is to you and if you have the patience for it. I know they can drive you absolutely insane. With big breeders, I don't think non-feeders get a lot of chances. Maybe three or so.
Thanks a lot! I will definitely go check those out... I am willing to take as long as I have to. I was just more or less worried that at some point it becomes too unhealthy to continue.

If he becomes too much of a problem I may change his name to trouble.

I've tried something call tease feeding... But I can never get him mad enough to bite ANYTHING. he is very sweet and calm... too calm.
 
Old 07-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Viroque
Nanci, please help me to understand: What is "Original Ivory Dish Liquid"...never heard of it before.

Thanks in advance
 
Old 07-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viroque View Post
Nanci, please help me to understand: What is "Original Ivory Dish Liquid"...never heard of it before.

Thanks in advance
It is dish soap, soap for washing dishes by hand, dish washing soap.

This photo is the EXACT kind you need.
 
Old 07-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Viroque
OK...is it the smell they like?
What do you think?
I am really surprised that this should work...think I have to look for something similar here in Germany...Thanks for the picture.
 
Old 07-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
Nanci
If you can't find that exact one, you can try any dish washing liquid. Ivory is just the one that snakes prefer. People have also had good luck with Dawn blue, and Joy.
 
Old 07-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Viroque
Please excuse to be asked again...you are putting the mice into the liquid, wash them again and offer them to the snake? Did I understand you right?
 
Old 09-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #10
lorlor54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
If you can't find that exact one, you can try any dish washing liquid. Ivory is just the one that snakes prefer. People have also had good luck with Dawn blue, and Joy.
What do you do exactly? Wash the pinkie? Then heat it up? I am so confused at most of these tricks.. I need detailed instructions, lol!
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 PM.





Fauna Top Sites
 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.02884603 seconds with 10 queries
Copyright Rich Zuchowski/SerpenCo