CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

2 y/o male corn not eating

Old 04-23-2019, 06:59 AM   #1
Beninlux
Question 2 y/o male corn not eating

Hi everyone

Fluffy is 2 and a half now, and last month we upgraded him from big mice to small rats. He took the first rat just fine on 21st March (still amazed by how stretchy he was), but hasn’t eaten since.

I know it’s mating season, and that probably explains him not eating. Also explains why he seems to be out and about more than usual; looking for a lady rather than hunting. How long this is likely to go on?

Would buying another pack of mice just be a wasted effort/step backwards; is that probably just a coincidence of timing rather than him expressing a preference? Should I simply keep trying to feed him every week and trust that when he’s hungry enough he’ll eat?

Old 04-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #2
Twolunger
It is not unusual for a male to go off feed during breeding season. It is also possible that he's getting ready to shed soon. I would weigh him and see if he is maintaining his weigh while off feed. He can go a long time, months, without eating and it doesn't matter unless he is losing weight. Having said that, while others have had their males go off feed during mating season, mine don't. They will eat, breed a female, and look for more food.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #3
blacktip
My male typically goes off feeding for 6-8 weeks, which he is currently doing now. One year he went off feed for 4 months. I would try feeding him every other week for now. No point in wasting a mice or rat every week.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #4
Beninlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
It is also possible that he's getting ready to shed soon. I would weigh him and see if he is maintaining his weigh while off feed.
He shed over week 2/3 of his nearly 5 week fast and he’s never refused a meal during shed before (I’ve had him 8 months now and he’s shed 3 times including that one).

I’ll weigh him tomorrow and note that down in the book I keep for him. Really appreciate all the quick replies. Relieved that he can go so long without serious concern!

Old 04-24-2019, 04:16 AM   #5
pitzMike
It's that time of the year again! Fortunately, all my Corns are eating just fine but I have a Ball Python that hasn't eaten since December! I try to offer him Rats every other week but he always refuses to eat. Poor boy I don't have any partners for him at the moment.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google