CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Flexwatt help??????????

Old 09-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
Firefur
Flexwatt help??????????

hello everyone,
so we had a mold problem and moved out with our reptiles and after two weeks of being homeless with several different reptiles in toe (not an experience i ever want to repeat with or without the reptiles) we moved in with a friend for the year. the end result is that their are currently four adults, 5 snakes, a bearded dragon and several alarmingly large spiders living in a 2 bedroom apartment in the middle of our high temperature is 60 degrees in summer USA. and i have to rack my 3 corns. never used flexwatt before so my question is can it be cut to odd lengths? or can it only be cut in foot long incriments? each cage is 18 inches wide and about 30 inches long.
is a 3" matt enough?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
HazAnga
depending on the size of flexwatt 3", 4", 11" etc... Each size has an availability as to how long it can be cut. I can't remember off the top of my head (and don't quote me on this) the 3 and 4" size is in sections of like 2-4".
I found 2 links that should help you.

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/flexwire.shtml

http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-ar...heat-tape.html

Old 09-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
Chip
You can cut Flex to size, just cut it right! Read the ARB link, Clay is the man.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Chip
Also, don't dream of using Flexwatt without a thermostat.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
Firefur
will a dimmer switch or rheostat work?

Old 09-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
Chip
Usually, but there is more risk involved. Do your own homework and weigh your options, risk/reward. My own approach is thermostats aren't that expensive.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
HazAnga
Best Thermostat for the money.

http://www.hydrofarm.com/product.php?itemid=3372

you can find it on Amazon or Ebay.
I have 2 and they work fine for a cage or rack. I wouldn't use them for your more precise heating needs (Incubator).

Old 01-30-2015, 05:57 PM   #8
JTBelcastro
This was very helpful, Thanks!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google