CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Nightmare's first handling/weight

Old 01-31-2015, 12:23 AM   #1
ArvadaLanee
Red face Nightmare's first handling/weight

Tonight I finally got to hold Nightmare for the first time. He had his first feed on Monday, and I wanted to try holding him on Wednesday night, but I thought I could still see a little bit of a lump in him, so I decided to give him more time. I left him alone until tonight, (Friday night) and when I checked on him, he looked like he was ready.

I have put my hands in the viv before, and he was never bothered by it, but I had never reached for him. This time, when he realized I meant to hold him, he was clearly frightened. I felt kind of bad, but I figured that part of that is his age, and with a little practice he will learn I am not a predator. He was on his hammock, so I held one hand next to it, and then gently pushed him into my hand. I was surprised by how strong his grip was! I was also surprised that he wasn't darting away from me, and shooting out of my hands. I only held him for about a minute, and then I put him in his deli cup to be weighed. I got .31 oz, or 79 grams. (I subtracted the weight of the empty cup.) I hope I even did it that right. After weighing him, I opened the cup, held it sideways, and let him slither back into my hand. Then I gently placed my hand in the viv. He bolted into his log, but the funny part was that he went into the far end, which was further away from me, but then he immediately stuck his head out of the front end, which was right next to me. Then he just stared at me. Overall, I would say he was out of the viv for about 5 minutes or less. I feel like this was a successful first handling, but I don't really know, since I don't have much experience. I didn't drop him, he didn't bite me, although he did try to escape at first, he seemed to calm as soon as I got him away from the viv, and best of all, he did not poop on me. I admit, I got a little nervous when I first reached for him, and he coiled up so quickly, and I could see his tiny face tracking my fingers. I thought for sure I was gonna be bitten! I know it wouldn't hurt me, but I have never been bitten by a snake before, and I was afraid I would accidentally twitch my hand away, possibly teaching him that biting gets a result he wants, or maybe even hurting him. Honestly, this first handling session made me feel a lot more confident. Now that I understand how he moves, I have an idea of what to expect. Hopefully, now we can work on building his confidence as well. I know snakes don't exactly love their owners, but I am hoping maybe they can at least recognize us as a place of safety, and for a snake, maybe that is enough.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:40 AM   #2
cornyjo
yeah 😁

Well done you ! Theo still quite jittery when handled but Jordan's confidence is building which can only be good .What was nightmares weight without deli box? Our wee Theo only 10g xx

Old 01-31-2015, 12:56 AM   #3
ArvadaLanee
The weights posted, were after I subtracted the cup. How old is Theo? Maybe I did it wrong. My boyfriend said I should have zeroed out the cup first instead of subtracting. Idk if that makes a difference.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
obboi34
Taring (zeroing the scale) and subtracting the weight do the same thing. Sounds like a good handling session. It can be a little scary to handle a new snake, especially as they get bigger. I'd advise trying to continue handling every day or every other, with the possible exception of feeding days and 48 hours afterward. Some snakes are sensitive about such things.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
ArvadaLanee
Ha! I thought it was the same to just subtract the weight of the cup. Lol. I don't think I will be intimidated by Nightmare getting bigger, since my concern is accidentally hurting him. I think it went I scared myself reading all the advice to other new snake owners about getting an older snake since babies are so flighty and delicate. Now that I have held him once, and know that I'm not going to break him, and see that he does calm down after a minute, I feel a lot better. Should I be worried that it takes him longer than 48 hours to digest a pinkie? I fed him on Monday night, and on Wednesday night he still had a lump in his belly. I have his warm side at 86°, but after he eats, he climbs up into his hammock. He sure is a cute little guy.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #6
obboi34
48 hours is the average. some take more or less time.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:21 AM   #7
cornyjo
Please don't think u have done anything wrong on my advice 🐍 I'm still clueless!!! I don't think we have an accurate weight as weighed him again and he less which I know could be possible but I don't think he is so have ordered scales from 888reptiles have never used this company before but I assume with it specializing in reptiles they will be ok so ill get back to you when I eventually get a weight on Theo !!He stroked last night for the first time when feeding ,we all got a fright as didn't expect it !!crazy I know but thankfully Jo was cool as a cucumber and didn't flinch and Theo just sat out in the open and polished off his pinky.We thought this might be the first refusal as Jo handled him before feeding and looks much duller in colour here's hoping first shed on way but maybe not!??????x

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google