CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Favorite Current TV Shows!

Old 01-30-2015, 01:40 PM   #311
Nanci
I don't have cable- I have antenna TV and Netflix, and I stream a couple things from YouTube via Air Play.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:22 AM   #312
ZoologyGirl
I don't have cable, netflix, antennae, hulu, nor amazon prime. I was too poor to get any of it when I was a student, and I haven't found a reason to get it now.

Libraries are great for shows on dvd. Some things I can find on youtube. Sometimes I wear an eye patch with a bird on my shoulder.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:44 PM   #313
insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
We only have Netflix and Amazon, so we don't watch much "current" tv but can't say as I miss it!
Yeah, I feel the same, but see below for my new issue . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I don't have cable- I have antenna TV and Netflix, and I stream a couple things from YouTube via Air Play.
So is Netflix the thing where they mail DVDs, and after watching them, you mail them back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoologyGirl View Post
I don't have cable, netflix, antennae, hulu, nor amazon prime. I was too poor to get any of it when I was a student, and I haven't found a reason to get it now.

Libraries are great for shows on dvd. Some things I can find on youtube. Sometimes I wear an eye patch with a bird on my shoulder.
I was never much of a TV watcher, and was also too poor to buy cable when I was in school. We do like to occasionally watch TV shows on DVD, and have bought several seasons of our favorites. That gets kinda expensive at $30+ per season though.

Our new dilemma is that my brother is going to be staying with us for about a month while he recovers from double hernia surgery next week. I'm thinking that we need to do something about entertainment, since he won't be able to lift anything heavier than the TV remote for awhile!

So should we try Netflix? Is Amazon and Hulu something we can do from our laptops? We do have wireless internet in the house, so that would be great if we don't have to have a cable company come to the house and install stuff that most likely won't be used after my brother leaves. A pay-as-you-go thing would be nice.

Thanks,

Kathy

Old 01-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #314
IowaPrairieWoman
Lately, I've been watching "Orphan Black". It is made in Canada and quite wonderful. One actor plays 5 different roles, beautifully !

Old 01-31-2015, 02:26 PM   #315
Tavia
Netflix has both a streaming service and a DVD/Blu-Ray delivery service. We used to do both but now just do the streaming. Here is a link with some prices. The first month of streaming is a free trial and they don't charge you unless you don't unsubscribe by the end of it. Most laptops are capable of being used to watch any of these.
http://www.netflixreview.com/netflix_plans.html

With turn around on the physical DVDs, you get a bigger bang for the buck with the instant streaming and can watch waaaaay more in a month. However, some movies and tv shows are only available via DVD. To stream to the tv though, you either need a new enough tv that streaming is already built in, or a device like a Roku, Apple TV or Wii. Plus wireless internet. The Roku's aren't super expensive and seem to work well, I bought two of them for my grandparents and we got one for my MIL. Nice thing with the Roku is that at least awhile ago, you could still buy one of the older models that work with older tvs that don't have HDMI inputs. You do need to have an active internet connection to watch and streaming is a bad idea if your internet service is one that limits your data usage each month, as it's very easy to go over that watching videos and get hit with a bunch of overage fees.
Here is the FAQ on Netflix's website.
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/412

There are a number of free streaming channels you can use, YouTube and the Smithsonian being a few. We generally tend to stick to Amazon and Netflix though, so I can't really recommend any of the others. Amazon has a bunch of "free" content if you are a Prime member but it tends to be near identical to what is offered on Netflix. However, you can buy or rent tv shows and movies through there, generally ones you can't get free elsewhere.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:16 PM   #316
insomniac101
Thanks for the links, and info! We'll check it out, and see if we can come up with something that works for us.

Kathy

Nanci, sorry for the detour on your thread.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:59 PM   #317
ZoologyGirl
Another show I like is "Continuum", which just recently announced they will be wrapping up the series with a final 6 episodes this year (instead of leaving it hanging at the end of last season, which would have sucked).

I also just started watching "Black Mirror", an anthology series with a different cast and different story each episode. Sort of a mind trip, dystopian-esque, philosophical, dark show often involving elements of sci-fi and technology gone awry. There are only 7 episodes so it's a quick view, and I think it's on netflix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaPrairieWoman View Post
Lately, I've been watching "Orphan Black". It is made in Canada and quite wonderful. One actor plays 5 different roles, beautifully !
That's a good one! I love the Cosima character, she's my favorite. Love Felix too!

Old 02-15-2015, 02:48 AM   #318
ZoologyGirl
Anyone watching Better Call Saul? I was prepared to hate the show, but it has surprised me and I actually find it pretty good so far.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #319
Nanci
I wish I could, but I don't have cable/whatever the other thing is. I'll have to catch it on Netflix. LOVED that character.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:12 PM   #320
Tavia
We are also waiting for that one to get to Netflix, we figure to probably like it, based on Breaking Bad.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google