CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

How on earth do you...

Old 01-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
dan803
How on earth do you...

Shoot a tongue flick? They are so common yet I can't get a good one to save my soul! It's frustrating! I've tried everything. If I get one it's blurry.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Nanci
I shoot rapid sequence for about three shots. If you blow on the snake, it _might_ flick. Really, you just have to take about 50 shots, and hope you get lucky.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan803 View Post
Shoot a tongue flick?
Didn't we just have something like with with 2 snake and...something??

Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Jeff Linkchorst
Luck is a major part. And shoot a lot of pics.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:39 AM   #5
Jessicat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Really, you just have to take about 50 shots, and hope you get lucky.
This sentence sums it all up!

If you wait until you see the tongue flicking, by the time you take the picture, it will be over. Just take LOTS and LOTS of pictures, and hopefully some of them will not only have tongue in them, but be in focus as well.

A macro lens helps a lot too.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
charlie1
If you want a clear pic of a flicking tongue you will need good light and/or high ISO. A flash is also necessary because the strobe stops the motion of the tongue. I would first try direct sunlight, try to get an iso of 1/1000 or better or use a flash. And as others mentioned you will need to fire a lot of shots to catch it.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
rexracer
Keep trying and shoot a lot of pics, you'll get it. Just think how lucky we all are these days getting good pics of our snakes (or anything else). Taking a lot of pictures has always been key to getting good nature/action shots, but 20 years ago you had to "burn a lot of film" to get the shots. A photographer might burn $100 in film to get a couple of good shots, and now we can take 500 pictures and it doesn't cost a dime!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
Iflln2fntsy
Similar to the picture above, I found that when I put mine on a tree branch outside, she was flicking her tongue like crazy, probably all the new scents, and I got lots of tongue pics. Maybe try going outside, when it is warmer of course (I see you are in also in from Illinois, and I know I don't even want to go outside right now ) or maybe try putting your snake somewhere it has never been in your house where there may be different smells. I also agree with taking lots of pictures

Old 01-27-2011, 02:46 AM   #9
ShenziSixaxis
A burst mode would probably be the best way to get one. I have yet to get any full tongue shots from my corns, and the two I got from my female BP were not the best angle and a bit blurry.

Take a snake outside and keep taking pictures. Their tongues go nuts when they explore something so new.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:18 AM   #10
SquamishSerpents
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie1 View Post
If you want a clear pic of a flicking tongue you will need good light and/or high ISO. A flash is also necessary because the strobe stops the motion of the tongue. I would first try direct sunlight, try to get an iso of 1/1000 or better or use a flash. And as others mentioned you will need to fire a lot of shots to catch it.
if possible, ALWAYS keep ISO as low as possible. higher ISO's create a lot of noise in a photo. and yes, a flash certainly helps. it is a MILLION times easier to catch a tongue if you are using a DSLR, but it can definitely be done with P&S cameras too, it's just not nearly as easy.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google