CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

My first attempt with a DSLR.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
raynefyre
My first attempt with a DSLR.

I borrowed my roomie's Pentax K100D for really rough stumble into DSLR-land. He gave me a quick crash course on the basic functions and I took off to my snakes. I will admit, my first attempt with it was very rough. Only one of my pictures actually came out decent. I think my lens and lightning weren't the greatest along with my newbieness. But, here's the one picture I am decently proud of.

My boa, Gauge. He's 3 years old.

Anyone else use this camera? Or have any pointers for me?

Old 01-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
rich333
Not a BAD shot!! Alot better than my little camera

Old 01-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
desertanimal
That's a cool shot. That would look nice in large-ish format, matted, and framed in a wood frame.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
raynefyre
Thanks y'all!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
HeavenHell
Wink

Nice shot. A little more light and a smaller aperature (larger f-stop) would have provided a bit more depth of field.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:49 AM   #6
raynefyre
Thank you! My roommate gave me a crash course on the aperture setting but I had it set to automatic. There's so much to learn compared to my Canon P&S.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
GillianC
DSLR cameras are super fun to work with. I use an Olympus E-520 with a 35mm macro lens most of the time. I don't really have my own lighting arrangement, so with smaller guys like corn snakes I tend to set them up on my windowsill on slightly overcast days. Personally, I don't like the effect that too much sun can have - harsh shadows in awkward areas. It also tends to wash things out. Here's one of my most recent shots of my lavender, Pandora:

She was curled up in her water dish, and I managed not to disturb her on the trip to the window.

Soo yeah, my suggestion is to go with slightly overcast days if you're using natural light, as it won't wash out the subject as much but still provides adequate exposure. Experiment with angles to get more interesting shots. Aaand yeah, have fun!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google