CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Other Animals and Related Items Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Other Animals and Related Items Wanted Any other types of animals, plus caging, feeders, etc, WANTED can be posted within this area.

Good Pythons to get?

Old 05-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Morph Trader
Good Pythons to get?

All, right, after laying a quickly dying clutch of eggs and not eating for a week my next door neighbor and friends Rough green died. He doesn't seem to have much interest in colubrids anyways. What are some good pythons or other snakes? I've heard Childrens python, Ball Python(don't want him getting nervous over long feeding strikes), sand boas, Red Tail?

Old 05-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
atmox
Before getting another snake he should find out what went wrong with the first one, in my opinion. He could be doing something wrong that will cause any new snake to die too.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Nanci
Well, rough greens are virtually all WC, and very difficult to keep.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
atmox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Well, rough greens are virtually all WC, and very difficult to keep.
Didn't know that. WC is even difficult to keep by an experienced keeper by my understanding.

Well if he wants to use the same cage disinfect it thoroughly first.
Carpet pythons are a good choice too i think, don't get too big and can be very active. Can be a little bitey as babies though.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
MysticExotics
Irian Jaya Carpet Pythons are a good beginner Python. They are the smaller of the Carpet Pythons & can be very pretty! That was my first Carpet. Watch out though, they're very addictive!

Old 05-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Morph Trader
Mt friend has an IJ and she is really mean and well strike when he holds her. Yeah the rough green was wc, but easily handled and as tame as a corn. She died because the stress of laying eggs while she was on the skinny side. She hadn't even started eating yet.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
MysticExotics
Some are, but not because they're IJ's, you can find tempermental snakes in any of the Carpet Pythons. Heck, you can find tempermental snakes in any species. JCP's have the worst reputation, but generally, most calm down when they get older.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Morph Trader
So, would a ball python, childrens python, or Carpet be best?

Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
AggielandReptiles
My opinions and observations on PYTHONS:

Most carpets tend to be aggressive, and less handleable than many other species, as others have already noted. There are of course individual exceptions (as in corns). They do get very addictive, and are REALLY cool to look at.

Ball pythons are notoriously excellent beginner snakes, which is one of the reasons they're so popular to keep. Find a well-started CB from a reputable breeder, counsel the new owner on proper husbandry and feeding, and you most likely won't have too many problems getting them consistent on F/T (or live if you prefer).

A few words on BOAS:

If they're looking for something a little larger, a Columbian Boa would definitely be my recommendation. They start small, grow quick, and tend to be the calmest of the larger snakes.

Sand boas are cool to keep, but since they like to burrow are somewhat frustrating as observational animals. They also tend to be a bit nippy, so if they want something really easily handleable go with the Columbian or Red-tail boa.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
Jagerdog82
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmox View Post
Didn't know that. WC is even difficult to keep by an experienced keeper by my understanding.

Well if he wants to use the same cage disinfect it thoroughly first.
Carpet pythons are a good choice too i think, don't get too big and can be very active. Can be a little bitey as babies though.
Carpet pythons do get big and have a tendancy to be aggressive.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google