CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Outdoor Snake Photography?

Old 08-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
vovalyosha
Outdoor Snake Photography?

Okay, I am having problems with taking m snake outside for photos. Anyone have any suggestions for how to go about doing it? I am nervous about them slithering off.

Currently using a Canon EOS 30D with 18-55mm Canon but I have a 50-135mm Tokina that I've used for Vova.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
I only take my snakes in the backyard and I just stay within arm's reach of them - they don't usually get too far. If you're really concerned, is there someone you could ask to help you keep an eye on them?

(Also I don't ever take out more than one snake at a time unless I have an extra pair of eyes/arms.)

Old 08-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Susan
I do quite a bit of outdoor photography with my snakes and have learned a few tricks to get better photos.

First, have a place chosen that doesn't allow your snake to get too far out of reach. A small tree, bush, fallen log, etc is better than a tall tree that the snake can easily climb way out of reach.

Second, don't go out when the temps are too high. If your snake isn't comfortable, it will want to get someplace cooler fast.

Third, shade tends to be better than bright sunlight. This sort of goes hand in hand with the temps. Earlier in the morning or later in the evening tends to be better, but you also have to watch your shadow or photographing directly into the sun. The use of a flash, even when outside, can have it's advantages for making a better photo.

Fourth, be ready to photograph as soon as you go out. Your snake may take awhile to get over the "shock" of being someplace different and hold still for you for awhile. Then it will go through a major exploration mode, so just let it and don't bother doing too much photography until it settles down again in a place it's happy.

Fifth, PATIENCE, PATIENCE AND MORE PATIENCE! You'll take about 5 poor photos before you get one good one. Make sure you have an extra battery with you as it really stinks to have your snake finally pose extra pretty and your battery decides to die at that particular moment.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
cornbreadandmilk
any place where they can grab on and be secure seems to make them more calm they seem to not want to run as much

Old 10-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
tyflier
I shoot a lot of wild snakes outdoors. For smaller, harmless snakes, I like to put a ball cap or tshirt over them for a minute. It comforts them and calms them down, and it takes advantage of the "shock" Susan referred to above, and will give you a second of stillness when you lift the hat or whatever...

I mainly shoot at dusk and after dark using a flash, 'cause that's mainly when I find snakes in the wild. If you have to use flash, you can diffuse it even on a P&S pocket camera with a piece of plastic from a milk jug. It will help soften the shadows and reduce "wash out".

When I do find them during the day, I always try to move them into the shade. Direct sunlight creates harsh textures and shadows and "wash out". In the shade, you get soft lighting, and saturated colors.

As for keeping them calm...It's all about patience and timing. Be ready and be focused. Try to keep your snake in frame and camera focused even while dealing with the animal. It's not easy, but having the camera ready to roll in an instant can be the difference between a dud and a keeper...

Old 10-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #6
RobbiesCornField
Don't wear bright colors. If you're in sunlight and trying to photograph a light snake (even in the shade), the colors of your clothes will possibly reflect on the animal, and make it even harder to get their true colors.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
jessicashallperish
i typically shoot outdoors without a flash. i have some sandstone stairs and i found that they bring out the colors of the snakes very easily on an overcast day. if it is very sunny out it will wash out the colors

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google