CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Heads Up: Salmonella outbreak tied to PetSmart mice

Old 05-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #21
AliCat37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticExotics View Post
Check out Layne Labs. You can order smaller quantities, and they are on the west coast, in California.
Taht is where I geet my feeders from.
I am very happy with the quality!
I literally JUST ordered $700 of mice and rats from them. At the wildlife sanctuary, we have ordered from there and rodent pro. Layne Labs has better quality, hands down.

I'm still sad my local mouse guy stopped breeding mice

Old 05-24-2014, 09:13 PM   #22
HerpsOfNM
I've switched to Big Cheese.

1. For the fact they are local now.
2. I was severely disappointed in the quality of mice from Layne Labs.

I did nothing different in my thawing, heating, feeding process; same I've always done from '98 up until TMF closed. I've never had so many ruptured bellies and pinks with freezer burn pitting until I used Layne. Maybe TMF spoiled me, but I don't recall their mice smelling, I never got freezer burnt feeders, and only had ruptured bellies if I'd over heated the mice.

I was disappointed enough that when I ran out of feeders in Oct last year, I actually went back to buying pinkies from a local mom & pop pet store weekly and getting my larger sizes bi-monthly from work. The larger ones were the kick in the pants at $75 every 2 weeks, all the while trying to save at $10/hr PetSmart pay to place an order with Big Cheese or Loxahatchee Rodents. Thankfully, I've now a better career (not job) that won't place me in such a dilemma.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #23
AliCat37
I was going to go with big cheese, but everything that I needed was sold out. I've only ever heard good things about LL, so now I'm nervous. All I know is that the quality of the ones we got at the center was a million times better than RP. I can't even stand looking at the ones from RP, they're all yellow and stink!

I will miss my local breeder. I don't think anything will ever compare to those. I'm actually worried my snakes won't eat mice from other places o.e

Old 05-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #24
HerpsOfNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliCat37 View Post
I was going to go with big cheese, but everything that I needed was sold out. I've only ever heard good things about LL, so now I'm nervous. All I know is that the quality of the ones we got at the center was a million times better than RP. I can't even stand looking at the ones from RP, they're all yellow and stink!
That was just my experience with LL, after reading tons of reviews between them, Big Cheese, and Loxahatchee. I've not had the problem with my Big Cheese feeders like I'd had with the LL stock.

RP....I mistakenly tried them in '00 when The Mouse Factory was out of what I needed. I had the same experience as you. The whole zoonotic disease outbreak a few years back (IIRC) and finding out that they'll outsource, coupled with our shared experience has kept me from trying RP a 2nd time.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:14 PM   #25
AliCat37
We'll see how this batch is, if BC has what I need in stock next time I may go with them!

Old 05-25-2014, 12:03 AM   #26
hypnoctopus
I don't currently use Layne Labs, but while I was ordering with them, I found their quality superb. I never had any problems with them at all.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:09 AM   #27
MysticExotics
The only problem I have ever had with LL is that there have been a couple orders where I am short a couple on a particular size, (I have ordered several times, over the past few years). They have more than made up for it each time.

The quality has always been better than any other company I have tried.

I take that back, one other problem with LL...since they became so popular, the turn around time is longer than is used to be, but it is still not as bad as RP's was.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:15 AM   #28
Senusenu
Yeah the Arctic Mice aren't "Petsmart mice", Petco also sells them and I assume less known shops may also sell them. We just pulled all of our a couple days ago.

I don't get my mice from work, it's way too expensive even with a discount. I go to a local privately owned shop for mice. It's not as cheap as online, but it's way batter than 13 dollars for 6!

Old 05-25-2014, 12:27 AM   #29
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetusvates View Post
Times when I have been in a bind, I have gone waayyy across town to a great all around family-owned pet and supply store. They have a giant of a bearded lizard there...and juveniles.

They sell live mice no questions asked. The large tasty juicy luscious lip-smacking adult mice go for $3 a piece. Never bought more than 8 or 12 in a visit, so no large scale endeavour.

I like going there. They have the supplies, and corals, to make a nice reef aquarium. Which I soooooo want,...with the human needed to probably keep it looking good (which they _don't_ supply...). LOL.
I would SO much rather support my local feed store or reptile/aquarium shop in our little town, the feed store always smells like hay and has live chicks in a big watering tank and i love to hold them, and they have baby bunnies once in a while. Such a happy place! The other place has great salt water fish, and a few reptiles that I like to check out, but it would cost about $80/month to feed what I have now, and they will all be at about $125/month in a few years if I don't get any more snakes, and we all know THAT won't happen!

Old 05-25-2014, 01:09 AM   #30
HerpsOfNM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusenu View Post
Yeah the Arctic Mice aren't "Petsmart mice", Petco also sells them and I assume less known shops may also sell them. We just pulled all of our a couple days ago.

I don't get my mice from work, it's way too expensive even with a discount. I go to a local privately owned shop for mice. It's not as cheap as online, but it's way batter than 13 dollars for 6!
To the best of my knowledge, Reptile Industry's Artic Mice are PetSmart supply. Petco gets Mice on Ice, which is Gourmet Rodent.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google