CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Member Forums > Rich Z's Blatherings
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Rich Z's Blatherings Since Connie and I have retired the SerpenCo business, topics here will focus on topics of a more personal and general nature.

The Butter Stripe Line..

Old 08-03-2002, 04:03 AM   #1
LindsayMarie
The Butter Stripe Line..

I was wondering if you had any plans to sell any butter stripes next year? I am assuming if you do, it would only be a few if that and was wondering if a deposit could be sent sometime in the winter and if you decide not to sell any it could be refunded or used towards other cultivars in the spring? Also, if you dont plan on selling the Butter Stripes how about the others produced in that line:
Butter het stripe
Amel Stripe het butter
Amel het butter & stripe
Stripe het butter
Normal het stripe, butter
Normal Stripe het butter
Would you happen to know an estimate of how much any of those would cost? This way I know how much to start putting away each month. Thanks Rich, hope to hear something soon. Lindsay

Old 08-03-2002, 03:41 PM   #2
Rich Z
Well, I haven't given it much thought...

But I believe I had four of them hatch out last year, and maybe I'll have twice that or better this year, so perhaps I can sell a pair or two of them for the 2003 season. This year I only offered a single pair of Lavender Motleys for sale and they sold immediately. The deal was a 50 percent deposit (nonrefundable if the animals are available), with the balance paid upon delivery of the pair of animals. I sold them for $2,000 for the pair.

Let me talk to someone whom has been asking me about the Butter Stripes first before I make any sort of general offering for a single pair of them next season. I want to give him first crack at them. (Walter, are you listening in here?)

As for the het animals, considering that I do not have any adult Butter Stripes, think about what it would take to produce the animals you want and tell me if it is likely I will have them next year. This is a test, and ONLY a test............

Old 08-03-2002, 08:57 PM   #3
LindsayMarie
Re: Well, I haven't given it much thought...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Z
As for the het animals, considering that I do not have any adult Butter Stripes, think about what it would take to produce the animals you want and tell me if it is likely I will have them next year. This is a test, and ONLY a test............
What do you mean by this is a test and only a test? Thanks for replying and if you could let me know when you talk to the guy interested in the butter stripes that would be great Maybe he will let a pair pass him up! Take care, Lindsay

Old 08-03-2002, 09:31 PM   #4
Clint Boyer
I know, I know!

Rich is using snakes that are het for one or all traits crossed with another snake het for one or all traits. Unless the snakes that are used are at least homozygous for one of each trait, there is no guarantee that the offspring would be het for all three.

Example #1:
Amel Stripe X Caramel

Offspring are predicted to be...
100.00%, Het for Butter, Het for Stripe

Example #2:
Amel het Caramel and stripe X Caramel het Amel and stripe

Offspring are predicted to be...
12.50%, Butter, Het for Stripe
12.50%, Caramel, Het for Amel, Het for Stripe
12.50%, Amelanistic, Het for Caramel, Het for Stripe
12.50%, Het for Butter, Het for Stripe
6.25%, Butter, Striped
6.25%, Caramel, Striped, Het for Amel
6.25%, Amelanistic, Striped, Het for Caramel
6.25%, Striped, Het for Butter
6.25%, Butter
6.25%, Caramel, Het for Amel
6.25%, Amelanistic, Het for Caramel
6.25%, Het for Butter

The above is from Mick's progeny predictor.
As you can see from the 2nd example, there would be no way to know for sure if any snake was het for Amel, Caramel and stripe.

Old 08-03-2002, 11:20 PM   #5
LindsayMarie
Oh ok!

I see! Thanks for explaining Clint! For some reason I thought he was breeding butter stripes already. But now that I think back, I think he told me he was only breeding hets right now. Im sorry! Thanks again, Lindsay

Old 08-06-2002, 12:07 PM   #6
Rich Z

Sorry, couldn't help myself...........

Old 08-06-2002, 12:38 PM   #7
SilverTongue
Rich! Santa is gonna put you on his naughty list! LoL

Old 08-06-2002, 01:28 PM   #8
Jimmy C.
Wow!!!Thats it thats all I can say WOW!! I love Stripes and this guy is just beautiful.
Jimmy C.

Old 08-07-2002, 03:22 AM   #9
LindsayMarie
TEASING ME!

See now that picture is teasing me! GOD I love the butter stripes. They are on my want AND need list. hehe Beautiful picture Rich. BTW you take some great photos! You dont have to answer this question if you think it is out of line, but I was wondering, around how much did your whole camera set up cost? I am looking into buying a good digital camera with flash hook ups etc. Take care, Lindsay

Old 08-07-2002, 11:55 AM   #10
Rich Z

The above is a photo of my camera rig I use.

It will not be cheap for you to make up the same thing. The camera is the Fuji FinePix S1 Pro, which cost me $2,100, and I felt I got it cheap. The lens is the Nikkor 105mm Micro lens which will cost another $700 or so. The flashes are Nikon SB26s which I think were around $300 each, but it's been a while since I bought them and can't remember. I don't remember the source or make of the bracket itself, but it was probably in the $100 range.

Yeah, that was a lot of money to spend on a camera system, but fortunately I did not have to spend it all at one time. I already had my Nikkor lenses, which are some of the best in the world, for my 35mm setup. I was looking for a digital body that would use my lenses for a long time, but prices were running in the $8,000 range, which just was out of my ballpark. It was just a miracle that I got that Fuji camera like I did. I was just killing time and logged onto Ebay and thought I would check to see what prices were running on that particular camera. I glanced at one that had a REAL good price on it and thought there must be something wrong. Come to find out that this was bought by a professional photographer that decided to go into video instead of stills, so he just wanted to move it out quickly. I just happened to log onto Ebay about 2 minutes after he posted the auction and he had it at $2100 with a BUY IT NOW button. Talk about snap decisions! I thought that at any second someone else was going to be looking at this auction and beat me to the punch! My mouse never moved so fast before to click on that sucker!

When I got the camera, it was as close to being brand new as you could imagine. Matter of fact, if the guy had told me it had never been out of the box, I would have believed it. I LOVE this camera. If it were to burst into flames today, I would buy another one ASAP. As you can see, combined with the right lenses, this camera does a superb job. And I haven't even touched on all of the options it has. It can take up to 54 photos in it's highest resolution of 3040x2016 in TIFF format. I forget how big each file is, but seems to me it is like around 20 to 50 megabytes per photo at it's highest resolution and finest detail.

The camera has a removable 1 gigabyte hard drive in it.

Heck, I guess I could run on and on talking about this thing all day long! Guess you can see that I really like it.

I'm considering selling my Mavica FD-91 camera, if anyone is interested. After using the Fuji, I doubt I will use it much. That's what I used to take the photo of the Fuji above.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google