CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

View Poll Results: Do you pre-kill ur rats or feed live?
live 39 13.78%
frozen/thawed 213 75.27%
live, then kill it myself. 24 8.48%
i give mine magical willing-to-die-by-constriction rats! 7 2.47%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Poll:Live or pre-killed?

Old 05-19-2007, 11:36 AM   #71
Demondes
Same as above.
And I agree with that what's the point: snake can be seriously harmed in limitated space when feeding live food.
Plus there is no need to maintain mice/rat population when they are nicely packed in freezer, easy and simple.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:19 AM   #72
zeeboismysnake
Zeebo's always eaten f/t and frankly I'd be disgusted by having to feed him live mice. Of course, I've only ever had one snake, so I'll probably have to feed live at some point

Old 09-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #73
dizzl
I use frozen, due to safty reasons. Afew years back my freind had a boa, he used to feed live; yes it was cool to watch but I saw the mice bite his snake more than one time. So unless I ever have to I will not feed live.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:34 AM   #74
Twizzy
Okay I have to chime in my two cents as well..I've seen this thread almost weekly since I have been a member over the last few weeks!!

I'm sure this is an age old debate amongst reptile owners..But honestly ..I personally can't see any reason to feed live ..IF and I say IF the snake will eat F/T. There is no proof like has been said previously that your snake is getting any more nutrients or that a snake on F/T will live less..Personally I think those that choose to feed live without a reason are doing it more so for the sport of it..Just my humble opinion..as I read each of these posts.

I would never personally consider live unless it was an absolute live or death of the snake ..and when you are talking hatchlings that refuse to eat ..Maybe that is just mother nature's way of weaning out the lesser of the species.

Not trying to ruffle feathers just I have read these threads for weeks now and find them kind of pointless..I dont think those that feed live will change..and those that feed f/t or pre-killed do it for a reason.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #75
RedRaydin
This thread is one of those never ending threads. I was gone for three and a half months and over that course of time I recieved about 10 emails stating someone had chimed in on this. It is way too heated of a topic for those die hard live feeders (I used to be one til' Raydin had a close call with one of the live mice). I switched quickly thereafter. Raydin was never a picky eater, if your snake has willingly accepted each meal you put in the cage (if fed on a consistent basis) it WILL, mark my words, take thawed mice.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:46 AM   #76
sneakers
How Do Um Knock Out Or Kill A Mouse

Old 09-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #77
ALGeckos
I'll be feeding mine Frozen/Thawed

Old 10-05-2007, 10:08 PM   #78
Demonique
I only fed live once, a pinky to a 6 week old corn who had never fed. I left the pinky in with the corn for 3 hours before thinking 'it won't eat' and offering the pink to a two week old corn who had refused its first feed. I am in a bedsit, basically a one-room apartment with bed, TV, dining table, sofa, kitchen in cupboard (I have my own shower and toilet out in the hall) and my 21 snakes and 2 leos share this space.
Shortly after I went to bed and put out the light I heard a squeak from the pinky and the next morning it was still in the feeding box with the snake, only it was now inside the snake. Urgh, I then realised that I should have left the pink overnight with the first baby, it might have taken it when the light was off.

Oh and the baby that ate the live pink? Following week it ate two F/T pinks, week after it ate four in one sitting, this week it ate three. To be fair, they were all fairly ginormous for baby corns. I bought my little adult female at 2-3 months old (she's now four) and an avid feeder, the babies were bigger than her when they first hatched.

I will resort to live pinks in the future to get awkward feeders started before switching them to F/T

Old 11-27-2007, 08:06 PM   #79
Siren
When I get a corn next month, I plan to either feed frozen/thawed or pre-kill or otherwise handicap the mouse before feeding. My friend who has the snake now, he knocks the mouse out, so it is either unconscious or semi-conscious. And he's been doing this for years and none of his snakes have ever suffered an injury.

I'll never feed my snake a live and active mouse. I'd be too afraid he/she would get hurt Frankly, I feel bad for the mouse. I had pet rats before, so I have sympathy for them too. So I rather make sure they don't know what is about to happen.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:38 AM   #80
snakewispera snr
Forget about the fact that your snake could be bitten. Rodents carry any number of parasites (worms, flukes.etc.)
Freezing kills everything.
MIKE

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google