CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Can corns eat hamsters?

Old 02-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #141
Vinman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebi
I wouldn't give a snake a live hamster.

hamsters are mean, they won't hesitate to scratch and bite.

Also, I'd think hamsters are more expensive and troublesome than and other kind of feeder.
I sell fish and reptiles to pet stores and wholesalers. Depending who it was, they would either give me rodents for free or I would pay between 25 to 50 cents ea. They would be the old breeders, injured or if they had to much overstock. Sometimes when I was at the pet store someone would come in the store with a whole litter of young hamesters , gerbils or mice. They would store would ask if the store wanted them. The store would ask me if I could use them , of corse I would say yes. When I got home I would either snap their necks and feed dead or I would use tongs and dangle the rodent by its tail to make sure the snakes strike was a head shot. Now I still get these every now and then not like before. I never feed these to my main collection. Just incase of any pathagins or parasites. Insted I would feed these rodents to my living room collection. These are wild caughts and snakes that I get from herp shows, old pets no longer wanted, or buying out someones snake collection for resale. Only the babies of these snakes would be put in my main collection in the snake room.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:05 PM   #142
gwb8568
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollieMollie
Does this forum have moderaters?
not yet.........it has been a "freedom of speech" board with the hopes that members can police themselves and act as adults.
Quote:
If 14 pages of flames, name calling, off topic discussion, disrespectful posts (from multiple persons), and such aren't enough to warrant a locked thread, warning from the mods, a split thread, or editing of posts, what exactly is too much?
obviously the privilege has been taken to extreme and now allot of people are going to suffer for it. believe me, if you don't like threads going off-topic then this forum might not work for you. mosts threads here do end up that way but almost always come back to reality and slowly fade away. the other aspect of it though is that it is usually brought on by immature individuals with nothing else to do but try and get under peoples skin on purpose. that in turn escalates into decent people trying to "rid-the-demon" in any and every way possible. it's a normal part of life, whether you are on the streets with other people you respect, or on the forum. you will stand-by and stick-up for your com padres while taking the opposer down.
Quote:
Maybe this forum just doesn't have those kind of standards, I don't know. Just seems to me this sort of thing is extremely unhealthy for the forum as well as for individuals and not something I would allow to prosper if I had a say in it.
you do have a say in it......first, read THIS and THAT to further inform you of what is about to take place. but remember what it was like (right now) when you were able to type/feel/say/do whatever you wanted while still using a controlled manner and also getting a valid point across.......it's possible that you might not have that choice in the future to "speak your mind" as you see fit. i hope this helps you, even though it's just my $.03

galen

Old 02-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #143
Vinman
Thumbs down

to all of you who have a problem with the fighting there is a tab that you can click on to report any bad posts or threads it is right next to the tab that you give people good points to. It is a white triangle with a red out line. Now can we get back on topic and stop all this crap about fighting you dont like what you read then report it

BACK TO THE ORGINAL TOPIC PLEASE!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #144
Plissken
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogStar5988
I have to admit that I am one of those people that spends money to take a $5 animal to the vet. I got a rat my freshman year of college and then spent $150 to get rid of its mites, and then $30 to get it euthinised after 3 years and a large tumur formed.
As I living thinking being I can only judge other living things based on how, if in thier position, I would want to be treated. Sure there are things that I hate: spiders, ticks, hornets, etc. But if I have a choice I don't kill them, don't get me wrong if I wake up with a spider on my face its gonna die, but if I just see a spider I let it go because I repect it as another living thing and an efficiet preditor. Point being, (IMO)there is nothing wrong with death, just with unessesary death. (again no spellcheck)

---Kenny
As am I. I don't understand the OP's view that if it didn't cost him much, it isn't worthy of any veterinary treatment, or even a short drive to the pet shop. To me the animal always comes before the money. If you aren't prepared to deal responsibly with any future costs you may incur,
why take the animal on in the first place?

In regards to the original question, this question has nothing to do with the snake - as others have pointed out it could even be detrimental to the reptile. This is just to do with "getting rid" of the hamsters. In a short drive to the shop the hamsters get to live AND the snake is not attacked by a terrified rodent.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google