CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Frustrated feeder breeder . . .UG!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
carnivorouszoo
Frustrated feeder breeder . . .UG!

Hi all! Sorry I've been away. Anyway on to my frustrations:

I have at this moment I think 7 female mice. My ONLY male died and the other I THOUGHT was a male turned out to be female! Before passing my male only got one female preggers and she JUST had her babies this morning. About 9 I think. I have to feed my snake today as its already been 12 days since her last feed and I feel awful. I'll be giving 2 since they are so tiny. I am wanting to keep two males so I will have to try really hard to not feed off any males. At this stage I know it will be hard. Then I have to wait for my males to mature UG!!!!!!

I also have 1 male and 2 female ASFs. Have had them for 2 months. NO BABIES. No clue how old they were when I got them. One female has not changed in size but for around the waist. When she sits looking at me she looks like a little baseball. I am really hoping she is preggers because the male has been very obviously a male since day one. The male and the other female are now the same length as the other female but not as um. . . wide. Or is hefty a better term? The older (I'm thinking) girl has looked like this about a week now. Should I be looking for babies in a week or two? Or do I need to adjust the diet? They get the only rat block available to me (8 in 1 I think) with a tbsp of seed mix each day. Also they killed 4 water bottles that were in a holder designed to keep that from happening! So they have a water bowl instead and I have to clean it out 3 times a day! They put food they don't like in it and bedding! These things are nutters!

Finally I have a pair of argente russian dwarf hammies that bred last night and for the life of me I can not remember how long til I can hope for pups. Yeah I'll google in a minute but figured a post with the info might help others later on

Thanks for letting me vent!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
CrousesCorns
I know the feeling! I recently got a ASF 1:3 colony and the guy said it would take a month for them to get going. Well that is up next week and I have all crossables crossed for them to have some litters soon (all so KNOCKING on WOOD!). I am currently using all of the pinkies/fuzzies I can produce in one or two weeks. It seems I can never get ahead and get the freezer stocked. Oh well atleast we vented together about the same problems!

Old 06-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Buzzard
Good to see your back Carnivorouszoo, I too got some ASF's about a month ago. Nothing not even a run in with the male doing the deed. I don't know what to tell ya there boss. I really hope she pops for you soon.
I might get another male for your mice though. It might be a challenge introducing them but I wouldn't be able to wait 2-3 months for a male to grow to reproducing size.

On my frustrating note. The pet shop I have been selling to just up there order from 10-15 mice a week to 20-25 a week. I don't know if I will be able to keep up with the shop. So I just set up 5 more colonies of mice. So now I am feeding my 7 (plus 35 eggs) my buddies 9 (he has 3 hovabators full of eggs), He just sold a couple, and the 25 for the pet store. Not to mention I just got 2 private buyers today....Whew..... I guess business could almost get too good.
But it is starting to pay for itself, So I guess I shouldn't complain too much. Sorry got caught up rambling

Old 06-04-2009, 04:51 AM   #4
Floof
Long time no see! I'm pretty sure rodent issues are universal.. The buggers are a PITA.

From my original 1.3 colony, I'm down to 1.1... One turned out to be a cannibal, and the second just isn't receptive. Just my luck. As for colony #2, I've effectively gone from 1.3 to 1.2 this week... One of the REWs decided to try cannibalizing the other REW's litter for the nesting spot, so she's likely going to be snake food once she's weaned off her current litter.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
DragonBoy
Not that this will help a whole lot but I recently went through many of the same frustrations with the breeders and here is what I learned...
I bought several pair of ASF from a breeder close to me that were supposed to be young ones. Of those I eliminated an extra male that somehow got into the mix. I lost a couple due to mites...(they seem very susceptible to rodent mites by the way)...and finally after 3-31/2 months I produced a litter of 12. from one grouping. From that litter I kept 9 or 10 babies. I set them up 3 to 1 in assorted housing to see what worked best. I found that it did not matter what they were housed in but if I changed a set from say a drawer in my freedom breeder to a 10g aquarium they appeared to stop producing for months. If I changed from aquarium to aquarium it was no big deal. So it seems like once they breed a certain way they do not like to alter that format. I now have 5 colonies of 3-4 females to 1 male all set up in 10 gal aquariums, all have 8oz water bottles, a hamster wheel and feed hopper. I find the wheel gives them something to do and I found my production was better when they had a wheel vss when they did not. I have stopped breeding them in the freedom breeders only because they seem happier/healthier in the tanks.
As for the mite issue I mentioned...I add sevin granules to the bedding every time I change it. That keeps them pretty well under control. With 21 rat tubs 6 mice tubs, 5 asf's and 2 hamsters mite control became a sheer necessity. Hope this helps some.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
wyocornsnaker
If you don't have a wheel in with your ASFs, I would say that will help with the water bottle, all my colonies have a wheel, and have never chewed anything, except the paper and toilet paper roles that I put in for them to chew. I have also made bottle protector for my bottles, which I can tell you how to make if you would like.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:25 AM   #7
BuckeyeSnake
If you've got a PetSmart around you they now offer glass water bottles. This was the only solution I could find to some pesky pet rats, haha. It's held up great!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
carnivorouszoo
Thanks everyone! She finally had a litter of 15. I immediately pulled 7 so I could feed my snake. The babies are odd looking buggers! Born with what looks like guard hairs. Their noses are more pronounced at birth than mice too. I'm letting the remaining 8 grow out a tad more then going to pull all of them. Never saw the male do the deed either. So I either got her while preggers (?) or they are very private about it lol! A week or so ago I saw my D.H's go at it Yippee! I kept 3 males from my mouse litter to grow out. The reason I won't buy a new male is this. The first male I got at my local shop died of an odd, not contagious disease. The second "male" I got turned out female with a tumor on her rear that made her "look" like a young male When I noticed her having issues going to the bathroom I put her down to keep her from having pain. The third I got I don't know age, but is same size as my saved girlies (about 6 or 7 weeks) got really big like she was going to have pups, then shrank back down, no pups. Now my adult female and 2 of the saved females are rounding out too. I spent money I didn't really have to check for worms and it came back neg. Tiny chance I was wrong on one of the girls and she is a he but I'd think the girls are too young to breed yet?

On a happy note I got a trio of gerbils who have always been together so should have no issues on the females fighting Saw the male chasing one of the females in the mating prowl lol!

So things are now back on track again

Old 06-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
Buzzard
Glad to hear, Carn. Well things must be looking good all around, last week my ASF's gave birth to an uncounted number. But I was attacked in the process of changing water dishes. Yikes. The hair thing is kinda different. Wasn't ready for that. Wow you had a string of rough luck with those males. Hope everything works out, and it is good to see things are looking up.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
Floof
Good to hear things are going well for you now, carnivorouszoo!

Lol, Buzzard, that must be it.. My mousey luck is beginning to look up, too. My Petco colony is doing well--each of the girls has dropped one litter so far, coming in at 10, 14, and 14, respectively. One of them was removed doing cannibalism issues, but she's raising up four of her litter very nicely on her own. My first colony is doing well, too, aside from Cinnamon, the second female, very likely now going through moosie menopause. Her tiny litter has been weaned off for two weeks, she isn't pregnant yet, and her sister is already nonreceptive, so it's not a far-fetched conclusion by any means. Luckily, her two daughters are doing very well, and may already be receptive. =)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google