CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Should I switch to rats?

Old 06-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
jimmythetiger
Should I switch to rats?

So I’ve decided that most if not all mice are evil and stupid lol. They eat each other, they eat their babies and they suck as parents in general. Maybe its just the mice around here, but I’m getting sick of it. My question is, should I wait till my mice let their lives run their course and then switch to rats? (My corn is big enough to eat their pinkies) or should I get new mice till I find some that are better? Is there an easier species of mice? The reason I ask is because ... well the above and the fact that rats tend to be better parents, better around other rats, and are friendlier in general. Any input would be appreciated. Oh, and no I don’t want ASF’s, one because they are expensive, and two, there are none around here lol.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
chad27
Well my friend has mice and there not that bad. The only thing i could think of for as rats go they are pretty smart and tame. I had one as a pet for years. The rats as adult get pretty big and i think a corn would have problems eating adult rats. but if feed small there would be no issue i dont think.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
jimmythetiger
well Id only keep a couple adults purely for breeding. And I have mice. They're horrible. On top of that I get about only one litter every 2 months or so... if that

Old 06-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
jimmythetiger
*cough* bump.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
starsevol
Just my opinion....
rats have more fat content then mice and most are too big for corns.
Rats are also very social, intelligent, clean and fantastic pets...to me it's a shame to use them as food when you don't have to.

Everyone should just do as I do, and buy frozen as needed

Old 06-27-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
jimmythetiger
cept I have one snake... it would take a year to go through a bag of 50, and I'm pretty sure that's not too good for the nutritional value.. not to mention the lack of freezer room

Old 06-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
jimmythetiger
I meant that being in the freezer for that long would affect the nutritional value

Old 06-27-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythetiger View Post
cept I have one snake... it would take a year to go through a bag of 50, and I'm pretty sure that's not too good for the nutritional value.. not to mention the lack of freezer room
Easy solution....get more snakes!!!

You could look for a good pet shop near you that's not a chain that carries frozen mice too. Even if they are a little pricey, it's better than feeding and cleaning a colony of mice for one snake, time and money-wise....

Old 06-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
bfreewally1
my pet store always has mice. Why buy a rat. An adult mouse cost 1.49. Thats all a corn needs every 10 days to 2 weeks. Why breed unless you live in the sticks...

Old 06-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
jimmythetiger
My corn eats baby mice... which are 20 for 6 here...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google