CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

My corn snake Ruby kills Adult male mouse.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #51
Carinata
I have just one thing to say.
Why feed live mice to a snake that can eat the most safe kind of food you can give a snake f/t!

Old 09-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #52
DaKing0fqueens
My corn snake just ate a 2 week old mouse alive, didn't even kill it completely.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #53
danielle
I remember you saying this snake was a yearling and a 2 week old mouse is probably too small at this point. My yearlings eat hoppers which is the average size at your snakes age. Why not try a f/t? They are cheaper for one which is a huge bonus and can be bought in bulk which saves time...another bonus. I know you enjoy watching the hunt and kill, but the funny thing is they hunt and kill even when they are already dead so you won't miss much

Old 09-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #54
DaKing0fqueens
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle View Post
I remember you saying this snake was a yearling and a 2 week old mouse is probably too small at this point. My yearlings eat hoppers which is the average size at your snakes age. Why not try a f/t? They are cheaper for one which is a huge bonus and can be bought in bulk which saves time...another bonus. I know you enjoy watching the hunt and kill, but the funny thing is they hunt and kill even when they are already dead so you won't miss much
Nah I have a pet mouse. Then I have my feeder breeder mice.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #55
COerriccaRN
Okay, so I just stumbled across this thread...and have a few things to say

1. Feeding live is not "sick." I think its amazing to watch a snake attack and kill an anole the way it would in the wild. Its enjoyable.

2. I love to hunt. I enjoy killing deer, it makes me happy. It also makes MANY other people happy. This is no different from feeding your snakes live food (besides it being dangerous)

3. I couldn't watch the video, but from what everyone is saying...he just fed his snake live and liked it. So...? Whats the big deal? Its just a mouse. They are just...mice. Not seeing what the big deal is between you killing them and the snake killing them (besides danger to your snake.)

4. I feed live anoles for a few reasons. One is because I enjoy giving my snakes something "different" now and then. Two is because I breed anoles. I freeze some, I feed fresh ones live. It gives my snake exersize, something to hunt, and a challenge. Its just a lizzard.

Anyway, not looking to get flamed...just pointing these things out and putting in my two cents.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:27 AM   #56
Emily1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by COerriccaRN View Post
2. I love to hunt. I enjoy killing deer, it makes me happy. It also makes MANY other people happy. This is no different from feeding your snakes live food (besides it being dangerous)
But would you stick a deer in a 10' x 10' corral and shoot it? Would you think that's a good representation of what deer hunters do? Would that really make you happy? That's the equivalent of feeding live to a snake in a tank, bowl, or feed tub.

I have no issue with hunting, in humans or animals... but pretending that hunting things down in a little tank has anything to do with "nature" doesn't sit well with me.

If I wanted my snakes to live a natural lifestyle, they'd be wild. However, I'm not going to keep them in tubs/tanks, have them hiding in cardboard boxes and burrowing in aspen shavings, and then pretend that when I feed them live, it's just like in nature. It's not. It's almost... well... I guess it seems almost disrespectful to what hunting really is for a wild snake.

For me, personally, the choice to feed live when a safer, more humane option is readily available is not one I take lightly...

Old 09-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #57
COerriccaRN
Quote:
For me, personally, the choice to feed live when a safer, more humane option is readily available is not one I take lightly...
I think its more of a personal opinion thing. I will feed my snakes live anoles, the original poster will feed his snake live mice. This thread isn't going to stop him...so its kinda just a induvidual choice.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:02 AM   #58
COerriccaRN
Also, people do hunt in "pens
but ones that are very large.

I wasn't saying feeding live is "like" hunting, only asking why everyone cares so much about a little rat thats gonna die anyway??

Old 09-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #59
danielle
Feeding live does not provide anymore exercise than feeding f/t thats just kind of silly. Also, your snakes are still babies and while an anole is a fine meal now your snake will be needing bigger prey soon. If you continue to feed live you run the risk of one or more of your snakes refusing f/t when the time comes and having to feed live adult mice which is dangerous, or having a snake that only wants lizards and not mice at all. Being your a very new keeper maybe you should listen to many individual opinions before assuming what your doing is harmless. Snakes don't need variety and tend to stick with wanting a certain prey item delivered a certain way.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #60
starsevol
Sorry Emily, I have to disagree.
The LAST thing this hobby needs is yet ANOTHER teenage asshat getting his rocks off by feeding live on film.
Not neccessary and not cool.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
corn snake, mouse