CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Can snakes be fed a vegan diet?

Old 01-19-2010, 01:06 AM   #11
tstephe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by [starla] View Post
My dog eats a raw meat diet from roadkill and hunting. If my pets must be eat I aim to get it from a good source, where animals aren't treated as commodities to make money.
Well, I'm not sure why you try to fight it. Thats the way it is and your just making it harder for yourself.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
Shiari
Quote:
I know - this sounds ridiculous.
However, I do know of cats raised vegan that are perfectly healthy.
So I will throw it out there in case anyone has heard of such an idea.
You have been told wrong. Cats on vegan diets = sick and dead cats. They are OBLIGATE carnivores. Absolutely 100% require taurine and arachadonic acid in their diet, and those come from *meat*.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:38 AM   #13
jenneses
It disturbs me that you'd rather "painlessly kill" your snake rather than feed it the diet that is best for it. Why get an animal if you're just going to "kill" it? Also, feeding your dogs "raw" meat from roadkill and hunting might not be the best idea. I'd be concerned with parasites. I'm going to stop now... I really am, because if I don't I might get banned.

I'm really hoping you're a troll.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #14
Emily1188
From a utilitarian point of view, killing the snakes makes sense. One death vs. hundreds to feed it over its life time.

And that's why utilitarianism spawned the mental disease that is animal rights.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:47 AM   #15
SquamishSerpents
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneses View Post
It disturbs me that you'd rather "painlessly kill" your snake rather than feed it the diet that is best for it. Why get an animal if you're just going to "kill" it? Also, feeding your dogs "raw" meat from roadkill and hunting might not be the best idea. I'd be concerned with parasites. I'm going to stop now... I really am, because if I don't I might get banned.

I'm really hoping you're a troll.
that's exactly what screams troll, the fact that someone would deliberately come onto a SNAKE SPECIFIC, snake loving forum and say they'd rather kill their snake.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:50 AM   #16
jenneses
Quote:
Originally Posted by katia View Post
that's exactly what screams troll, the fact that someone would deliberately come onto a SNAKE SPECIFIC, snake loving forum and say they'd rather kill their snake.
That's what I'm thinking... But there are some people who think this way.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:56 AM   #17
Shiari
That sort of stuff definitely does happen. Had a client at my work declare that it would be more humane for him to shoot and kill his cat than get it neutered.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:01 AM   #18
Emily1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
That sort of stuff definitely does happen. Had a client at my work declare that it would be more humane for him to shoot and kill his cat than get it neutered.
Wow....

Old 01-19-2010, 04:43 AM   #19
bitsy
Quote:
My snake was adopted from a previous owner. I wonder if for the greater good it would be more humane to painlessly kill my snake rather than buy frozen mice from the petstores in my area.
Your heart's in the right place, but it's possible that you haven't thought this through enough before taking the snake on, and you're now over-thinking the wrong things. I may be wrong, but you don't give the impression of someone with a lot of snake-keeping experience. Do you have the basic husbandry aspects right?This is a more immdiate concern than getting in an ethical tangle over food sourcing. You can always come back to that.

Quote:
I just wonder what kind of life the frozen mice have had before being purchased.
Breed your own mice - that way you could be absolutely sure that they'd had a decent life and a quiet, peaceful end (CO2 chamber at home)

Quote:
I don't like supporting petstores that sell animals.
Breeding your own mice would resolve this concern as well.

If breeding and despatching your own mice truly worries you and buying them presents an ethical problem, then you may be better off rehoming the snake to someone else.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:46 AM   #20
Lennycorn
Sorry but this just dosen't work for me.
Quote:
My dog eats a raw meat diet from roadkill and hunting. If my pets must be eat I aim to get it from a good source, where animals aren't treated as commodities to make money.
"""""My dog eats a raw meat diet from roadkill and hunting."""""
OK

"""""If my pets must be eat I aim to get it from a good source""""

I'm guess you think a road kill is a good source then.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google