CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Can snakes be fed a vegan diet?

Old 06-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #331
Shiari
Learn to pet translates out to "learn how to properly keep a pet". The more common phrase is "learn to play", said to someone completely ignorant of game mechanics and devoid of any skill.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #332
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
Learn to pet translates out to "learn how to properly keep a pet". The more common phrase is "learn to play", said to someone completely ignorant of game mechanics and devoid of any skill.
Interesting. Unless someone isn't making sure it's balanced with nutrition, raw & whole prey are the best you can feed any of the carnivores. IMO

Old 06-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #333
ceduke
In that case, it's Shmoges who needs to "L2 pets". Raw food is the BEST diet for most dogs and cats. You just can't beat the benefits. I assembled my dog's raw diet myself rather than buy prepackaged and it was a full-time hobby, but well worth it IMO.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #334
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwheather View Post
Have you tried premade raw, like Darwin? They come in 1 & 2lb packages, frozen. You thaw out the package, & use it within 48 hours (mine doesn't last that long, with two GSD's). It's balanced with the proper meat/organ/bone ratio. It does have shredded veggies, which I don't think they "need", but if there has to be a filler in it, I'd rather have that. I supplement a cornish gamehen, or something for their jaw & teeth.
I've looked at the pre-packed raw foods, and you can get some really nice ones at good prices if you order in bulk, but I go to a farm butcher with my friend Cathy where we get giant sacks of carcases and bones, lamb necks, trimmings, plus a bucket of lungs, lights and organs literally for pennies. With Rosie being a Bedlington cross I limit the amount of organ meat she gets as I don't know if her dam was tested for copper storage disease. Historically Beddy/whippets like her don't tend to the disease being expressed but I don't want to take chances. Most Bedlington-specific dietary advice stresses that most commercial feeds are too high in copper for the breed. By getting the carcases etc direct from the butcher I can be sure I'm giving Rosie the mix I want her to have. She doesn't really like vegetables, cooked, raw or minced but I'd say she's doing pretty well on her current diet!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #335
MysticExotics
Janine, she is adorable!
I agree that preparing at home is ideal, & I hope to get there someday. Right now, it's the convenience factor for me.
I do like the whole prey model the best.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:05 PM   #336
mike17l
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
The only issue I have with feeding Rosie raw, is that she's only got a small appetite. If I give her more than she wants to eat she tries to stash it in the front room. I only had to sit on half a chicken carcase hidden in the sofa throw once to realise that keeping her out of there until she's either eaten or left her food is the best option!
Easy fix, give her 10 minutes (or 5 if you like), if there is any left, take it away, and do not offer food again, until the following day. She will learn very quickley, that when there is food, you eat. Feeding in a kennel may help as well.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #337
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike17l View Post
Easy fix, give her 10 minutes (or 5 if you like), if there is any left, take it away, and do not offer food again, until the following day. She will learn very quickley, that when there is food, you eat. Feeding in a kennel may help as well.
I know that works for kibble or canned food, but it's not so easy for Rosie to eat half a rabbit or a lamb neck in 5 minutes! Thanks for the suggestion though. It's mainly a case of me remembering just how much smaller than Ellie she is and not overwhelming her with a bowl full of dead things that she'll want to save for later.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #338
mike17l
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlil View Post
I know that works for kibble or canned food, but it's not so easy for Rosie to eat half a rabbit or a lamb neck in 5 minutes! Thanks for the suggestion though. It's mainly a case of me remembering just how much smaller than Ellie she is and not overwhelming her with a bowl full of dead things that she'll want to save for later.
You can give her more time, just give her a set time, and make sure it disappears after that.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #339
Butch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike17l View Post
You can give her more time, just give her a set time, and make sure it disappears after that.
This works I've done it for many years with show steers, horses, and dogs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google