CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

trouble breeding

Old 03-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
headly1994
trouble breeding

ok so i tried to breed my snakes yesterday. one was sold to me as male and the other female so i put them into a bin and put the lid on. the one that was sold to me as female immidatley starts riding its back and trying to lift the "males" tail so i assumed that the sexes are mixd up. well then i notice the "female" got the "males" tail up and opend its vent but the hemipenis never came out the vent opend and then nothing. could the snakes have bin sold to me correctly but the female is chasing the male? has this ever happend to anyone else

Old 03-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
medusacoils
Have you verified that you have a male and female? If you have a person that is experienced in sexing snakes, you may want to have them have a look. You may have two males there.

Wayne

Old 03-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
headly1994
if they where 2 males would the one try to have sex with the other male it was riding the back and trying to lift the tale

Old 03-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
medusacoils
Maybe!?!? A few years ago I put two males together thinking I had a male and female and one kept riding and attempting to breed with the other. This time of year they just get in the mood.

Wayne

Old 03-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
headly1994
damn lol that complicates things greatly o and do u know the answer to the other question do u know if the "female" did raise the tail of the other (and she did) her vent opend CLEARLY but no hemipenis do they not put them out till the female is receptive?

Old 03-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
bitsy
Yes, two males can behave like this. Attempting to mate is one snake trying to be dominant over the other.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
headly1994
the "female" is acting domonint

Old 03-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #8
bitsy
Then the "female" may be male.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google