CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

PREGNANT ????

Old 03-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
SickPyth7
PREGNANT ????

One of my girls who has been bred to 3 times now does not want to eat. She is huge and hard to the touch. Her 1st hook-up was on 03/15/2011 so is it possible she could be pregnant already?

Old 03-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
K. Rene
It's possible I guess. they get swollen in their lower 3rd when they are ovulating also so she might be in the process of having the eggs fertilized. Be on the look out for a pre-lay shed, be sure to put in a lay box when she is in blue to help her shed and get comfortable with the box. both my girls bred 3 times and have shed, now just waiting for them to lay whatever their going to lay. Good Luck!

Old 03-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
carnivorouszoo
I have a female who only bred once and has not eaten going on 5 weeks. I am hopeful she is just certain she is ok without eating and both gives me eggs and starts eating after laying. I am watching her like a hawk for sure. Fingers crossed for your girl. Never had one feel hard . . . .

Old 03-26-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
SickPyth7
I guess its possible, she does look pregnant! Last time she fed was 7 days ago and her ENTIRE second half of her body is comepletely bulged!

Old 03-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
ratsncorns
She could be ovulating. Generally they go through a shed right before they lay. After that shed, it could be about a week (more or less) that they lay their eggs. Good luck!

Old 03-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
SickPyth7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsncorns View Post
She could be ovulating. Generally they go through a shed right before they lay. After that shed, it could be about a week (more or less) that they lay their eggs. Good luck!
Thank you I do understand the regular procedures, what I'm alittle bit stuck on is that is only been 11 days since she bred for the 1st time! Thats alittle fast for a gestation period if you ask me. But then again maybe her folicles have been growing all along and only now they have been fertilized. I guess we shall see. I will post pictures and updates with her progress.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
SickPyth7
I took a look back into Don S. (SMR) book and found...

"Approximately 30-35 days after conception, the pre egg-laying shed should occur. 20-55 days after conception is not uncommon."

I think this girl I have falls into that 20-30 day range. Over the next 10-14 days will tell.

Thanks everyone for posting

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google