• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

July Herping in Northeast Ohio

tspuckler

Rainy weather and cooler-than-usual temperatures made for some pretty good herping (if you don't mind mosquitos).

A large number of Eastern Garter Snakes were seen this month - this one was particularly attractive.
01garter012_zps63b249ab.jpg

Though common, Northern Leopard Frogs are rather skittish and don't usually allow themselves to be approached up close.
02leopardfrog051_zps0db81a0f.jpg

I never get tired of photographing Painted Turtles - here's one from Ira Trailhead in Cuyahoga Valley National Park.
03painted030_zpscf79bf91.jpg

A Longtail Salamander from the Youngstown area. This one is missing about half its tail, though it still looks quite elegant.
04longtail004_zpsa91d71c0.jpg

Back when I was single digits in age, a DeKay's Snake was the first snake I ever encountered in the wild; it was caught on a family outing. Later I learned that I could ride my back to vacant lots in Cleveland and find them there as well. I still get a kick out of seeing them these days.
05dekays030_zpscfcd85a8.jpg

The largest frog in the land - an American Bullfrog.
06bullfrog036_zpsc6c3b41b.jpg

A non-native Western Painted Turtle in a pond in Summit County.
07westernpainted_6049_zpsa675aefd.jpg

An "in situ" Black Rat Snake - my first one this year - near Wooster.
08blackrat029_zps4ba4cd99.jpg

There's no time like Toad Time and I have seen many metamorphs this month as well as a few adults, like this one.
09toad088_zps520ab27d.jpg

A "cloudy day" Common Snapping Turtle that appears to be swimming through clouds reflected in the water.
10snap_6486_zpsc60d4a7a.jpg

For some reason Northern Water Snakes aren't as conspicuous in the Summer as they are in the Spring. Here's a young male that still has retained a bit of juvenile color and pattern.
11northern032_zps063607ca.jpg

They may not be the most colorful frogs in the state, but I dig the earthtones of Wood Frogs. Here's one found only a few minutes from where I live.
12woodfrog097_zps58a911a7.jpg

An Eastern Milk Snake hiding in a crevice in a rock wall.
13milk010_zps8f098681.jpg

A Midland Painted Turtle sporting "green hair."
14painted_6517_zps227a04e2.jpg

Perhaps the most commonly encountered amphibian around this time of year - Green Frog.
15greenfrog051_zpsd2efbd7f.jpg

A coppery-colored gravid Eastern Garter Snake.
16east024_zps068924c8.jpg

A Slimy Salamander from the Wayne County.
17slimy040_zpsa2632b69.jpg

A very shy Eastern Milk Snake.
18emilk009_zpsd9b0a22c.jpg

Pickerel Frog found at the edge of a creek.
19pickerel030_zpsdd360595.jpg

I've seen more Ringneck Snakes around here this year than any other year. Maybe the moderate temperatures and damp weather have something to do with it. Here's one found on the Fourth of July.
20ringneck059_zps33e4b712.jpg

Gray Treefrog metamorphs can be frequently encountered on rainy nights in the right habitat.
21gray070_zps8e26d6e5.jpg

An Eastern Garter Snake "as found" in a tree. I've found a few of them in trees over the years.
22garter014_zps559986cc.jpg

A young Spotted Salamander that probably just metamorphosed.
23spotted053_zps4f27c1e2.jpg

Spring Peeper, a "classic" springtime amphibian that occasionally turns up in the Summer.
24springpeeper075_zpsf0481c9b.jpg

A great looking Red Eft - the immature land-dwelling life stage of the mostly aquatic Red-spotted Newt.
redeft120_zps381d3497.jpg

Yeah, Tim seems to be VERY adept at finding these critters, doesn't he? I really enjoy looking at his photos.

Really neat creatures and photos. The grey tree frog photo and the cloudy turtle photo are my favorites.

Wow awesome finds! What kind of time span are we looking at here? It seems like you're pretty good at finding them quickly. I love those sirtalis

Love the photos! Nice to see someone else who likes Wood Frogs. They are my favourite terrestrial frog and are one of only a handful of animals in the we world that can be frozen solid and survive.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Back