CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

How to make your own Rheostat for less than $7! Detailed instructions.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:36 PM   #31
Lennycorn
Thanks Dan, Great post!!!

Old 04-14-2005, 11:02 PM   #32
zwyatt
Thanks for the great post! One question, though. I'm putting one of the second type together, and if I have an extension cord that has a ground wire can I just go ahead and twist it together with the groud from the dimmer and connect them both to the ground screw on the outlet? Thanks!

Old 04-15-2005, 12:18 AM   #33
DdotSpot
yes, you can. In fact, you would actually utilize the ground by doing that. Sounds great!

Daniel

Old 04-15-2005, 01:46 AM   #34
zwyatt
Thanks for confirming my grounding plan. This is the first electrical project I've ever undertaken so I wanted to make sure. Now, all that's left is to work up the courage to plug something that I constructed into the wall to test it out! Thanks again for the easy to follow instructions!

Old 04-15-2005, 05:51 PM   #35
Drizzt80
DotSpot, great information and thanks again for posting it.

Was in a lab safety meeting today for teacher inservice, and since extension cords are considered dangerous, it was recommended when you need to use one, use the 'thick orange ones' that have the grounding plugs etc. I would probably recommend for the dimmer switch/outlet box to in fact use the higher grade ext. cord to create it. I plan to just as extra precaution. I can't see a way around using the wimpier ext. cords with the flexwatt due to the ground wire . . .

A question though . . . Do you see any difficulties/problems with using a GFI outlet with the dimmer switch setup? Again, extra precaution!

D80

Old 04-15-2005, 06:22 PM   #36
DdotSpot
Drizzt(by the way, I love your name!),

Yes, I would much rather recommend the extension cord with the grounding wire...I think using the GFCI would be great idea. With this post I was working on the cheapest price(while still being safe). Unfortunately, getting the more expensive ext. cord and the GFCI, will boost your cost quite a bit and it won't make it much cheaper than the actual Rheostats...but hey, I like this design better anyway!

Thanks for the question,

Daniel

Old 04-15-2005, 07:17 PM   #37
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DdotSpot
Drizzt(by the way, I love your name!),

Yes, I would much rather recommend the extension cord with the grounding wire...I think using the GFCI would be great idea. With this post I was working on the cheapest price(while still being safe). Unfortunately, getting the more expensive ext. cord and the GFCI, will boost your cost quite a bit and it won't make it much cheaper than the actual Rheostats...but hey, I like this design better anyway!

Thanks for the question,

Daniel
I understand working it out on the cheap . . . BUT, after my sister-in-law's house burnt down this winter due to her hubby's using a heat lamp outside for his dog . . . Well, a few extra bucks now to avoid that possibility myself is well worth it in my opinion. (BTW, yes he was an idiot, and was told not to use that heat lamp outside! Either way, it's been an expensive lesson for him to learn!)

D80

Old 04-22-2005, 09:24 AM   #38
DdotSpot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt80
I understand working it out on the cheap . . . BUT, after my sister-in-law's house burnt down this winter due to her hubby's using a heat lamp outside for his dog . . . Well, a few extra bucks now to avoid that possibility myself is well worth it in my opinion. (BTW, yes he was an idiot, and was told not to use that heat lamp outside! Either way, it's been an expensive lesson for him to learn!)

D80

I agree...that is probably his most expensive mistake!

Old 05-01-2005, 01:35 AM   #39
treppilj
I tried it...

Well I got a new snake rack so I tried out your little method and it worked. I am not an electrician by any means, as a matter of fact know nothing about it. I made the one with the dimmer and the plug in the box. I came in about 20 dollars over the $7 but I did buy the heavy duty extension, and I bought them at Home Depot so they were a bit more expensive than Wal-Mart. I am now trying to regulate the temps.

It was actually pretty simple, I just don't like messing with electricity. I want to build a box for it to fit in. I keep the rack in my bedroom so my wife would like it a little more appealing. The least I can do, since she does not complain about them in our bedroom.

Great idea and it was a simple as yoiu stated.

Thanks

Old 05-17-2005, 03:05 PM   #40
sircat
thanks...this looks great and doesn't leave me clueless like when ppl try to explain rack wiring
I haven't seen an extention cord with grounding around here other than surge protector strip things (can you use one of those?)...but there is a hardware store nearby and I'll see if they have these things
and with the other side of extention cord it will work for more than 1 tank?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google