CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Oh nooo....

Old 04-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #61
Susan
OK...I probably don't have all the info, but I sure hope you're not jumping the gun by taking her to the vet if it's not necessary. When was she bred (each time) and what are her due dates (if bred several times, there are multiple due dates)? When was her pre-lay shed? I wasn't joking when I said it can take UP TO 14 DAYS OR MORE after a pre-lay shed to actually lay the eggs. I would sure hate to see you stress her out with a possible unnecessary trip to the vet and possible actually cause her problems.

OK...I just ran a quick search and Lacey's last hook-up was on the 26th of February. Since corn snakes can take up to 45 days post-mating to lay their eggs, with the average being 39 days (per Kathy Love's manual), Lacey may not really be due to lay yet. Day 39 would be the April 5th, but day 45 isn't until the 11th. My recommendation is for you to wait and just give her some time. If you don't see an egg stuck right at her vent, then she isn't egg-bound and there is no reason to be concerned at this point.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #62
Tula_Montage
Thank you so much Susan. I found another slug this morning... It's less slugish than the others, it could even be fertile so it's in the incubator anyway. I have phoned the vet and let him know, he would like to see her in but I'm just so worried about stressing her out. I told him all the dates etc and he agrees that there is still some time before panic stations. I'm just concerned that she laid her first slug almost a week ago and nothing else

If I don't take her in today before the weekend and she becomes egg bound theres nothing I can do until monday and thats really not a pleasant thought

Old 04-04-2008, 07:47 AM   #63
Nanci
But if she laid a ?slug? today, she's not eggbound! (Just trying to help you not worry...)

Old 04-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #64
KJUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage View Post
Thank you so much Susan. I found another slug this morning... It's less slugish than the others, it could even be fertile so it's in the incubator anyway. I have phoned the vet and let him know, he would like to see her in but I'm just so worried about stressing her out. I told him all the dates etc and he agrees that there is still some time before panic stations. I'm just concerned that she laid her first slug almost a week ago and nothing else

If I don't take her in today before the weekend and she becomes egg bound theres nothing I can do until monday and thats really not a pleasant thought
When did she shed? If it was less than the 2 weeks ago, bringing her to a vet can be the worst thing you could do at this time...unless there is more to the story that you haven't told us!
KJ

Old 04-04-2008, 08:11 AM   #65
Tula_Montage
Her prelay shed was on the 18th of March sooo 17 days ago?. The vet phoned me there and I confirmed the exact dates of everything and he said it's not critical to see her at the moment since shes obviously not bound, but he would like to see her on Monday if nothing has happened over the weekend.

Can I ask why taking her to the vet at this point woud be a bad move Kjun? I never want to take a herp to the vet if it's unecessary as I feel all too often they do more harm than good.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:16 AM   #66
Tula_Montage
I have an appointment for Monday afternoon... thats the longest I am willing to give her. If she passes the eggs this weekend then fabulous, if not it's off to the vet although I'm not quite sure what they can do. They will probably just admit her and keep her in a few days. If she becomes bound they can sort it sooner than I can.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:26 AM   #67
bitsy
If she's near laying and you start moving her around, that in itself could cause her to become eggbound.

If she's not even trying to lay, thenI don't think you have a problem. Eggbinding seems to be accompanied by a good deal of heaving and pushing and trying to pop those suckers out.

Must admit I'd be leaving her well alone in this situation, but you have to do what you think is best. I'm not sure your vet's given you the best advice, but that's just my view.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #68
Tula_Montage
I agree Bitsy... shes not trying to lay which is why I'm worried... I know she knows best and I am just leaving her alone. They wanted to see her tomorrow and I said no. I just want to know why these slugs have been so sporadic?

Old 04-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #69
KJUN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage View Post
Her prelay shed was on the 18th of March sooo 17 days ago?. The vet phoned me there and I confirmed the exact dates of everything and he said it's not critical to see her at the moment since shes obviously not bound, but he would like to see her on Monday if nothing has happened over the weekend.

Can I ask why taking her to the vet at this point woud be a bad move Kjun? I never want to take a herp to the vet if it's unecessary as I feel all too often they do more harm than good.
Stress of moving a snake that just wants to be left alone to lay eggs, aspiration (and resultant minor chance of infection) when not necessary since it is too soon), palpation resulting in prolapse, etc. because it is done prior to the eggs being ready to come out (again unnecessarily), surgery for no reason....etc.!

All it comes down to there is NO reason to move a female that doesn't show signs of problems prior to 2 weeks post-shed. If there is an obvious sign of a problem, that is different. If not, it is unlikely for a snake to egg-bind on the first egg (ignoring the slug, and it is too soon after the second slug to think dystocia). 17 days is very different from 14, so that changes things. I have had females wait 21 days after the shed to lay, so 17 is not unheard of.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #70
bitsy
I think slugs are just waste and seem to be "disposed of" by the body as and when the opportunity arises. There's no point wasting physical resources going into full labour if the only result is a non-productive clutch.

I do feel for you. If only they could speak...!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google