CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Corn Snakes vs Ball Pythons

Old 05-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #11
TandJ
Quote:
-Which are more prone to biting?

Both are usually calm, but you hear more stories of corns being agressive than Ball Pythons. Ball Pythons are rarely the mean ones.
I have been tagged by more corns, well thats because those are what I do.. I have had my fair share of bite ( broken skin ) from BP's.. I know my corns are consistant eatters, unlike the BP's I have had, where some of them went on hunger strike for 6 monthes without eatting.. If this is your first adventure into snakes, I personally believe corns are the way to go.. I honestly don;t think BP's make a good first choice for a snake..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Old 05-29-2008, 11:23 PM   #12
png_lovebirds
I personally prefer handling my BPs....they always have a nice firm grip on you and just move at a nice relaxed pace! My corns are just flying out of my hands when I get them out!!

BPs are a lot more difficult in the husbandry dept! As you know they have more rigid humidity and temp requirements compared to corns. So, in that respect corns are easier to take care of.

I've been struck at more by my BPs.....but only the females!

Feeding...my corns rarely refuse a meal.....my BPs do it all the time!

I guess for me, I really like handling my BPs and don't so much enjoy handling the corns! I just enjoy how the BPs hang on to you! LOL!

If I had to say which snake I thought would be better for a first timer, I would say a corn!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:35 PM   #13
aztek
Oh yeah, in addition to my PMS

If you want to feed frozen, the BPs are harder to get to switch from my experience(Still haven't gotten it) if they are not started out like that

Old 05-29-2008, 11:42 PM   #14
EtR_Bliss
I would like to thank everyone for your inputs, advice, opinions, information, etc... Very helpful

What I'm hearing a lot is, get a corn first, then a BP... Oh, I wish I could get both... I don't think I would be able to... I already have 4 White's Tree frogs (now that's a hard humidity level to keep up with during the winter time... but I manage somehow... I bought a humidifier and aim it in the direction of their terrarium, plus, I have a misting machine...)
Back on topic... lol... And I want to get a large tank for the snake when it becomes an adult (I will use a smaller one when it's young)... I just don't know where I will be able to put another tank if I would get a second snake... But knowing myself, I could always find some way to make it work

Oh, and I also know that I will want to get a male snake... I don't want to risk egg binding... very scary and depressing

Grrr... hopefully I will figure this out soon

Thanks again everybody, and if you guys think of anything to add on, go right ahead, I appreciate it

Old 05-29-2008, 11:53 PM   #15
clipclopclip
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtR_Bliss View Post

Mainly, I would like to know your opinions on their pluses and minuses...

Also, I would like to know:
-Which can be handled longer/more w/o stressing them out?
-Which are more prone to biting?
-Which can I let just crawl around on the couch/floor with supervision?
-Personality types... (what kind shows up more often in which snake)
-Anything else that would be good to know....
Well, personally I enjoy ball pythons' personalities more. They tend to be more laid back and less jumpy. I have never been bitten by one of mine, whereas I have been bitten a lot by my corns.

They are harder to care for and they do need more specific husbandry. They also come in so many expensive morphs that you could go bankrupt easily LOL!

That said, normal ball pythons are all different and very beautiful. They tend to be more of the lap-snake couch-potato type, but some like to explore more. However, while I always have to watch my darty corns, I can hold my ball pythons and actually look away for a while. they don't go anywhere fast.

Here is my opinion in short:
if you wants easy husbandry, go for a corn. If you want something more challenging husbandry-wise but more laid back, go for a ball. Either way it is a good choice

Old 05-30-2008, 12:48 AM   #16
melanie
I've had my BP for about three years and my corn for about 4 months. In my experience so far, I haven't seen a whole lot of difference between their personalities! My corn is pretty mellow. She's only tried biting me once and I didn't give her her way so she gave that up! My ball has also bit me once but I spooked him so I completely blame myself for that one. He doesn't really seem to mind handling at all but I don't take him out all that often, either. Whatever you decide, you won't be sorry! They're both great snakes!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #17
J&SReptiles
Personally, I wouldn't recommend a Ball python to a first-time snake owner, just because of the fact they can be much harder to take care for (ofcourse there are exceptions).
I have started with corns too, and two years ago I decided to add some balls to my collection aswell. I've never had any problems with my corns when it comes to feeding, but all of my balls have refused meals sometimes.
Personality-wise, I have noticed some differences between my balls and my corns, and overall, my ball pythons are more laidback.
However, in my opinion, easy husbandry is more important for a first-time snake owner.
Hope this helps

Old 06-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #18
Voodoo
My little BP finally ate last night. The magic trick was as simple as dropping a live fuzzie in her viv without moving her to a feeding tank, as I had done previously. So, I guess she likes to be left alone, and like her food raw and wriggling, precious.

I'm telling you, I would advise that you get a corn for your first snake. They're just far less picky about eating (for the most part). None of my corns have ever refused a meal and never bitten me.

My ball python strikes at me, and now with me feeding her live, I can only expect her striking habit to increase.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #19
LadyOhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
My ball python strikes at me, and now with me feeding her live, I can only expect her striking habit to increase.
That is a fallacy. She is striking at you because she is stressed out, not because of the live prey... You need to check your husbandry to see what is the root of the problem.

As for the OP:

I like BPs better, because that is all I do. I find that corns are much more flighty... I don't like it as much. BPs are easy to do if you know what to do. A bit more work, heat, humidity, sure, but a great snake to have and to handle.

But consider this... You are asking in a CORN SNAKE forum whether or not to get a Corn or a BP. Keep that in mind.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #20
snakewispera snr
Just to put a spanner in the works....LOL
If your only getting the one snake.(Yea like that ever happens) And you already know enough to manage frogs, so your not a real beginner. Have you considered any other types of snake.... Boa's or Carpets might be worth looking at....
As for the choice between corns and Bp, spend some time with both and see which one you like being around the most...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google