CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Corn Snakes vs Ball Pythons

Old 06-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #21
Voodoo
LadyOhh, I doubt it's stress at this point. Temps are fine (with a 90 degree basking spot, humidity is right around 50%. She's got water at all times and plenty of tight places to hide. Could it be that I just have a nippy little hatchling?

Old 06-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #22
R.W.
In my opinion, both BPs and corns are awesome, but for a first snake I would say corn and then move on to ball pythons. I have both and love both.

Have you possibly considered some type of king or milk? Just throwing that out there.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #23
LadyOhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
LadyOhh, I doubt it's stress at this point. Temps are fine (with a 90 degree basking spot, humidity is right around 50%. She's got water at all times and plenty of tight places to hide. Could it be that I just have a nippy little hatchling?
Nippy due to big giant hands invading its personal domain? Sure!!!

Old 06-03-2008, 07:12 PM   #24
Voodoo
LOL. That's what I'm saying. She's just a crabby little snake who doesn't want to be bothered. My lavender corn is over a year old, and he's still like that..but he calms down pretty fast if I put my hand in the opposite side of the viv and move my hand horizontally towards him. My ball could care less how you put your hand in there. She's not having it. haha.

I haven't bothered her for about a week, other than feeding her. Do you think I should leave her alone for a while longer before trying handle her, or should I try handling her more often? I'd say leaving her alone for a while longer might be best, but I could be wrong.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #25
LadyOhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo View Post
LOL. That's what I'm saying. She's just a crabby little snake who doesn't want to be bothered. My lavender corn is over a year old, and he's still like that..but he calms down pretty fast if I put my hand in the opposite side of the viv and move my hand horizontally towards him. My ball could care less how you put your hand in there. She's not having it. haha.

I haven't bothered her for about a week, other than feeding her. Do you think I should leave her alone for a while longer before trying handle her, or should I try handling her more often? I'd say leaving her alone for a while longer might be best, but I could be wrong.
Try to handle her more... Once she knows you are not a threat, the nipping will become less prevalent.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #26
Voodoo
Cool, LadyOhh. Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #27
snake luvr 4 life :)
um okay let's see about corn snakes and ball pythons. um corn snakes tend to be fast but they rarely bite and when they do it doesn't hurt at all. in the case of ball pythons they may be slower in the general movement area but they can move extremely fast and they love to try to escape. i know for a fact that on feeding days you should deffinately where a glove when picking up a ball python. um also if a ball python bites you when you aren't whereing a glove it could hurt quite a bit. i am not sure about this though 'cause i have only ever been bitten with a glove on. also if your ball python is jumpy when you go to grab it for feeding touch the middle of it for a couple of seconds so it knows you are there if this doesn't work go for its head. what i mean by this is ball pythons hate it when people tounch their heads so it will strike but i wil hit the glove and it should stop being jumpy and alow you to pick it up so you can feed it. also when feeding do not feed them in their main tank (this goes for both) because if you do they might think that you are going to feed them every time that you open the cage and then you won't be able to handle them.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:35 PM   #28
v_various
snake luvr 4 life, lol, this post is a year old. I think it's safe to say the decision has been made already....

as for your post, uh, no comment.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:40 PM   #29
Hypancistrus
And actually, the correct answer to the OP is..... neither.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76003

Old 02-25-2010, 02:53 PM   #30
SkellyHerName
Honestly...I would have to say ball python. But thats my opinion =]
My ball has never tried to strike, never bitten, sweetest thing you'll ever meet. My sister's adore her and constantly kiss her, which scares me! But she's never shown any agression. Ever since I got her she's eaten fine, and not refused once. A lot of my friends have corn snakes, which honestly just annoy me. They can never just sit still like my ball can, they're always going through my hair, down my shirt, and its just difficult. Most my friends regret getting them, for what's the point of holding something that just tries to get away? Sure corn snakes are cheap...but I've noticed most cheap things show problems and arouse regret. I also let my snake slither around on the floor all the time with close watch. So, I'd say get a ball =P

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google