• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

What is the dumbest thing you have ever heard?

Just the other day,I posted on Ocala craiglist that I am looking for pinkie mice for my young snakes since my supplier has been out. I got an email that said "Why don't you just feed them meal worms?"

Interesting posts. LOL
I've got two, which came from family members, unfortunately.
The first one, my sister in law asked me if the mice I was feeding my snakes (pinkies at the time) were fetal mice - meaning, did they make mama mouse get an abortion to feed my snakes. :blowhead:
The second one was also my sister in law - LOL - she asked me if they called them milk snakes because they drink milk. I just kind of shook my head and didn't say anything. I usually spout off sarcastic words, but I couldn't believe it. :laugh:

Think evolution is slacking off somewhere. But boy do they make my day. A toast to all those very special people out there.

If you want to find out about more uniquie people check out this site 'THE DARWIN AWARDS' it's at the top of the list on Google.

OK. I'll play. But I'm sure I'll think about something stupider later. My aunt, next door to my grandparents, taught my cousins that box turtles (and all other turtles, I suppose) shed their shells as they grow up, growing a new one. I remember fighting with my cousins over that from like 6 y/o until we were in high school. Heck, they may be teaching their own kids that, for all I know. :rolls eyes:

Regarding corn keeping, the dumbest question I've ever been asked is if the mice come back to life after I thaw them. :nope:

At work, I've got a tie. Someone once asked me "What do you guys do with the golf carts, drive around in them?"..... :laugh: "Uh... as a matter of fact....." The second one was a phone call and someone asked me the hours for the following day. I replied "8 to 5". They then asked what time we opened. Uh... "8", I told them. And then guess what they asked? "What time do you close? "That would be 5". They then thanked me and hung up. :headbang:

I'll have to think of the dumbest question that's been asked outside of snakes and work. Soooo many.

Oh my god...there have been so many..lol

My mom (when she first discovered I had snakes):

Oh my god! Why do you have snakes! Aren't you afraid they'll bite you? You know their poisonous right?! (lol)

My friend:

So when the mice get thawed, do they come back to life?

Aren't you afraid your snake will get out and eat your dog or cat? (my largest snake right now is no fatter then my cell phone...wow...lol)

Pet Store Employee:

All lizards and snakes need a light for heat and basking. This is also how they get some vitamins for their color and bones (now yes..there is some truth to this..but not ALL snakes and lizards need a light)

Okay I'll bite too. This first isn't snake related but I'm sure you'll get a kick outta it!

YEARS AGO ( when I was in my 20s ) I was working in a pet store, ( the kind with a very bad rep ) and one of the customers was disgusted that we sold ferrets. She told me that they bred with RATS! Well, being the wildlife biologist's daughter that I am, I couldn't let this sit. So I told her in a loud voice so that all the surrounding customers could hear, that that was a physical impossibility. Ferrets were domesticated to EAT rats and mice. Ferrets were a whole different genus. Them breeding with rats and producing offspring was as impossible as humans breeding with horses and producing centaur babies. ( OUCH! That would hurt giving birth! )

I do have a book in my collection that covers all superstitions A to Z. ( Fascinating book BTW! ) It does mention the old wives' tales that snakes like to drink milk straight from the cow's udder. It also mentions that any hairs shed or brushed from a horse's tail should be burned because if they fall into water, they will turn into eels and snakes.

Sometimes I'm so glad we live in a scientific world even if some people refuse to accept it!

Devon

Great thread!

I wish I could remember more of the stupid questions I've been asked over the years. The only one I can remember right now is a boy I was at school with (we were 16) saying with a most disapproving, matter-of-fact tone, "You do realise you've got a pet than can actually kill you?"

Um... no, not really. As if my tiddly 10" pencil-thin snake was ever going to be a danger!

Asking if thawing brings the mice back to life is one of the stupidest things I have ever heard though :laugh:

I'm still trying to swallow the whole "turtles shed their shells" thing! Although, I after spending 7 years married to a man who would easily believe that sorta thing, I can kinda understand their rationality. Hermit crabs switch shells as they grow and they have shells so why wouldn't turtles??? EEEEEEEKKKKK! Nature just must be too complicated for some people to comprehend!

I also threw a fit the day I caught my ex at a park telling people that our whippet dog was a MINATURE GREYHOUND! ( NO SUCH BREED! )He didn't understand why I was so upset! In his opinion, people were stupid anyway so why bother giving them the correct information? They'd never remember it.

There are many reasons why he's my EX! I just HAD to upgrade!

Devon

My mom, when she heard I got a corn, warned me against getting pythons and boas (lol at killer sand boa). But she isn't a snake person, so we'll forgive her.

Pet store employee (not the snake guy) showing me the ghost stripe corn, when I suggested he google 'bairds rat snake' he said "look, it even has orange between the scales". Another morph mishap was the lady who told me it was normal for candy cane corns to have orange ground colour. A different lady told me her miami + sunglow paring created miamis. That was before I knew better though.

I also met a little girl who was TERRIFIED of the male sand boa. I couldn't figure out why until I asked her, she said she was afraid it would bite her. I asked her, "what do you think will happen if it bites you?" (I mean, they're sooo tiny) her reply: "I'll die!" I tried not to laugh at her reaction, and explained it was a nice, safe, snake.
Not really stupid since she was a kid, but funny.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

2 things:

"no way I am holding that I don't want to get my hands all slimy!!"
"Ew, you feed them Rats!?!?! And you freeze them!?!?! Do they come back to life when you thaw them??"

Those are my stupidest things ever heard

Doesn't that include chickens, cows, rabbits, sheep, dogs,etc as all animals are wild at one point of there existance and just because you buy cute little flopsy from the petshop doesn't mean it's not predisposed to be wild.
Rabbits sold in pet stores are domestic rabbits. They are as close to wild rabbits as dogs are to wolves. Please don't return your pet store rabbit to the "wild". For many reasons this would be highly inadvisable from an ecological and moral standpoint which I won't go into here because it isn't the purpose of this thread.

Stupidest comment: "Snakes are slimy. Why would you want one?"

My favorite one:

I was posting an ad on the forums at work for "Beautiful, Gentle Corns" and someone with a snake phobia stumbled upon it. Not knowing what I meant by "corns" she clicked it and immediately had a freak out. Apparently even a PICTURE of a snake throws her off the deep end. It took 45 minutes to calm her down and I was given a "talking to" by her cousin (who also works there).

Another is this:

A woman that we babysit for asked if her sons could come see our snakes so I was like "Sure, no prob".

The kids were petting the one I had in my hand when she said "Not too much now, it's slimey!".

I was like .... o_0 "No, it's not...".

She said "Yeah it is" and reached out her hand to touch it herself and then said "Wow... no it's not.. just soft." with wonderment.

I was surprised that she thought it was slimy but I was even more surprised when she volunteered to check for herself instead of just writing me off. That was a step in the right direction, and now she's even planning on getting one of my hatchlings for her son ^_^.

Lets see... stupid questions about corns...

Of course the "Is it poisonous" question. I think the dumbest one I got was "Why doesn't it have legs"...

Hmmm that would be because... its a snake! Ta Da!

Stupidest question in general (and I posted this the moment it happened in the DYK thread) was at work. I work in a library for those of you who don't know, and a girl who had to be 18 at the youngest came in and said ...

Her: "Is this the public library?"
Me: "Yes"
Her: "Do you guys have, like, books?"

Gee what do you think are on all those shelves around you????

ROFL!

Oh and I remembered another:

My fiance's grandma is Mexican and doesn't speak much english. She also learned most of what she knows by reading the Bible (taught herself to read and write that way and everything).

The first thing she said when she saw me with a snake was "Matalo!" (kill it!). She says they are "of the devil".

After she realized that I was still going to keep them around, she asked "Do they eat dirt?", and then a few days later she said "Aren't you afraid of dying from the poison?". I said "It doesn't have poison." and her reply was "ALL snakes have poison."

She's very "matter-of-fact" about it and won't see it any other way.. but I suppose I can't fault her since she's like 80 and set in her ways. Plus she's super smart... she knows tons about health and she is still as active and mobile as I am at her age. No sitting down and rocking in a chair for her! So yeah, she's wrong on a couple of things but I suppose I can't complain...

I keep trying to explain to her that snakes like mine are good snakes, and that you would be lucky to have them taking care of the rodent population on your farm for you. I even let her watch one eat a gerbil, but I still don't think she believes me...

I thought we already established the fact that those are, in fact, waffles.

:D

Dale

I remember standing outside and someone asked what kind of snake I was holding. I told him it was a hamster.. he shook his head ok in agreement and left.

I dont know why this has anything to do with Waffles but I like Waffles.

Back