CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

10 gal DIY Separation Ideas? Anyone?

Old 03-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Candyflipz
Question 10 gal DIY Separation Ideas? Anyone?

Hey guys. Just curious if anyone has ever tried to separate a 10 gal tank to house 2 corn snakes and whether it was comfortable and successful for them? And how you did it obviously. I've got a 10g baby '08 boy and a 24g almost yearling '08 girl that I need to house. I was thinking about getting one of those tank dividers they sell for fish (like this) but I wasn't sure if it would work well with the snakeys.

Now that I have 2 snakes to worry about I need both ease of transportation (I'm in college so I move in and out of dorms every few months) and space saving, while also providing the best home i possibly can. So I figured I could just separate the tank and somehow provide enough room for them both, while also making it easier to transport since it won't be two big awkward tanks, just one separated.

What do you guys think? Have you tried this in the past? Have you seen others try it? Do you know of a place i can surf around to find ideas?

Old 03-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
cajunmomof4
http://www.aquariumguys.com/tankdivider.html i've used these in the past for my bettas, this one may be too flimsy for a snake tho.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
MinLynn
I'm sure it can be done using plexiglass or something similar but I'm not sure just how long you'll be able to house a corn(even very small 08s) in a 5gallon tank.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Iguanagirl8662
Plexi glass is the best way to separate a tank in my opinion, but if I were you I would get a 30 gallon and then separate it so it will last a bit longer.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
v_various
I would just get a plastic bin at walmart or something rather than try and split such a small tank. There's instructions around, but all you really need to do is drill holes and make sure the cover is secure.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
TandJ
Instead of running all over the country side looking for plexi and safe epoxy or silicon to saten the plexi, Spend the $20 plus tax and buy another ten gallon with a screen top..

http://www.petco.com/product/102255/...t=OnSiteSearch

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10312733#

Regards. Tim of T and J

Old 03-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #7
Candyflipz
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_various View Post
I would just get a plastic bin at walmart or something rather than try and split such a small tank. There's instructions around, but all you really need to do is drill holes and make sure the cover is secure.
I thought of that to be honest...I'm just frustrated cause I've already got this 10 gal and just got a smaller temporary carrier and I didn't want to have the tank sit in storage until I was ready to use it. I'm also ridiculously short on cash and space (college student...ahk). Why not use what I have already now? Ya know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandJ View Post
Instead of running all over the country side looking for plexi and safe epoxy or silicon to saten the plexi, Spend the $20 plus tax and buy another ten gallon with a screen top..

Regards. Tim of T and J
I'd honestly love to do that but there's the space problem again and ease of mobility. I'm a college student. I move every couple of months. I've already got an SUV-load of crap (plus extra) to move every semester. I'm not completely confident that I'll be able to fit the 10 gal with everything else, but it'd be a hell of a lot easier than fitting ANOTHER 10 gal lol.

I also didn't want to spend the money on buying another UTH when I could just place it so both sections of the tank have a good temperature gradient for both the snakes using just the 1 UTH. I'd also have to get another thermometer, hygrometer, etc. If I had them in the same tank, just separated so no cage-mate swallowing occured, I'd be able to save that cash and still give them a great home.

I know if all else completely fails I'll have to get another bigger tank for both of them anyway eventually. I'm just so short on cash right now that the money I don't spend on extra stuff right now will go to my tuition. By the time they get to be the size I'd need to buy bigger tanks anyway, I'll be making more money and be able to afford it. I'm sure it seems like more trouble than it's worth, but for the time being it seems like the most logical and effortless come time to move again (in about 2 months from now).

If you have better ideas than mine considering the situation, seriously let me know I'd love to hear them!

Old 03-26-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
Camby
Quote:
Originally Posted by TandJ View Post

Regards. Tim of T and J
This is the best advice for you so far, but I have questions. What age and size are the two corns you have? What are they currently kept in? If you only have one right now, then maybe it is best to stick with that until you graduate. Not trying to smack your lolipop in the dirt, but it sounds like money is a big issue so keep with what you have rather than the animals suffering. Make sense?

Just some thoughts

dc

Old 03-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #9
MinLynn
I have an 08 that is nearing 30g right now. He is being housed in a 10L at the moment. However, just looking at him now, I know it's not going to be long and he's going to have to move up to a 20L. I just don't see it being wise to house them in a 5gallon tank. That's going to give you barely any room to provide a warm and cool side as well as 2 hides and a water dish.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #10
Candyflipz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camby View Post
What age and size are the two corns you have? What are they currently kept in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyflipz View Post
I've got a 10g baby '08 boy and a 24g almost yearling '08 girl that I need to house.
The 10g boy is about 10-12 inches long and the girl is probably around 16-18 inches but I haven't attempted measuring her yet

Right now the 24g girl is in the 10 gal and the 10g boy is in a medium sized "herp Haven" like this that my friend had that she didn't need.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google