CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding after only 3-4 days is OK ?

Old 06-10-2009, 05:09 AM   #1
Capt O
Feeding after only 3-4 days is OK ?

My snake Queen ( born in 08, 60 g ) took a bit longer than usual to shed. Therefore she hasn't eaten for about 2 weeks. Yesterday she had a small meal ( Fuzzie 6 g, usually she gets 8-9 g fuzzies ) . This afternoon after only 30 hours she had a big poo. Before I have never seen her digesting so fast ! Now she is running around and seems to be looking for food. In this case is it OK to feed her only 3-4 days after she had her last mouse or shall I wait the usual 6-7 days ?

In 3 weeks time I need to leave her without food for about 2 weeks so I thought it might be good if she can put on a bit of reserve now. What do you think ?

Old 06-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
jdarlin02
Just in my own opinion I'd say if she's looking for it give it to her. Just in my unqualified opinion.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
medusacoils
3-4 days is a bit soon. I would wait and feed on your normal schedule. Snakes can go for a while without food. Plus feeding too soon can cause you more problems, like regurges. I am not sure how often you feed your snake, but wait the normal amount of time between meals.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Old 06-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
danielle
I agree with Wayne. Feeding that soon is asking for a regurge so just stick to a 5-7 day schedule she's a good size for an 08 and will be fine off feed for 2 weeks while your gone, but do provide extra water!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
Capt O
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle View Post
I agree with Wayne. Feeding that soon is asking for a regurge so just stick to a 5-7 day schedule she's a good size for an 08 and will be fine off feed for 2 weeks while your gone, but do provide extra water!
When I am away fresh water supply is no problem. The care taker just refuses to feed the snake....lol. Thks for your reply.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
bitsy
Quote:
Just in my own opinion I'd say if she's looking for it give it to her.
Unfortunately, this is a recipe for an obese snake. In the wild, they're opportunistic eaters - they'll eat everything they find, as they don't know when they'll successfully hunt for their next meal. They don't change this behaviour in captivity as they don't know that their next meal is guaranteed.

Most Corn Snakes will exhibit feeding/hunting behaviour for much of their active time. If you feed on demand, they'll eat everything you give them - sometimes to the point of regurging (which is a health risk in itself). Harden your heart and stick to the schedule. No matter how "hungry" they act, remember that they aren't (as long as you have a sensible feeding regime). They're just acting on an instinct that's not appropriate in captivity.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
Eli173
I don't thing she digested the meal completely. When they go in blue the often hold it in and give you a nice big poo after they shed. What you saw was very likely the meal before the most recent one.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #8
MinLynn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsy View Post
Unfortunately, this is a recipe for an obese snake. In the wild, they're opportunistic eaters - they'll eat everything they find, as they don't know when they'll successfully hunt for their next meal. They don't change this behaviour in captivity as they don't know that their next meal is guaranteed.

Most Corn Snakes will exhibit feeding/hunting behaviour for much of their active time. If you feed on demand, they'll eat everything you give them - sometimes to the point of regurging (which is a health risk in itself). Harden your heart and stick to the schedule. No matter how "hungry" they act, remember that they aren't (as long as you have a sensible feeding regime). They're just acting on an instinct that's not appropriate in captivity.

This is all very true and I know from experiance! One of our rescues was extremely underweight and small for her age. We kept feeding her like normal but if we noticed she still was acting "hungry" we would give her an extra mouse. Well, it didn't take long and she went from very skinny to getting overweight and hippy in no time flat! We actually had to put her back down to normal feedings with no "seconds" and start exercising her. She now looks normal again but still has those little hips which I heard will probably not go away.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
Capt O
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinLynn View Post
We actually had to put her back down to normal feedings with no "seconds" and start exercising her. She now looks normal again but still has those little hips which I heard will probably not go away.
How do you exercise your snake ?

Since my little worm is still in good shape I think I will follow the advise and will stick to my 6-7 days feeding intervals.