CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Sound and Smoke

Old 09-01-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
oculus
Sound and Smoke

I was just wondering how sound i.e laut bass and smoke (ciggarettes) affects snakes?

Any things i've got to look out for?

I've stopped doing both at the moment in the room where my snake is. I know that snakes feel the vibrations alot more than us but does it really affect them?

Also my oculus (10inch amel i got yesterday) doesnt seem to mind being handled after i have had a smoke but im still not sure i should.

Any advice would be great.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
KJUN
The smoke is likely the bigger problem. Remember that cornsnakes only have one lung, so the smoke will affect them much more than you. Granted, they breathe slower with a slower metabolism, but I still wouldn't chance it. No smoke!

On the practicing (correct?), I would keep it to a minimum near the snake afer a meal for a couple of days. as long as regurges don't develop and s/he continues to eat regularly, there is likely no problems. If she regurgs or stops eating, then stress from the vibrations MAY have platyed a part in that. Consider it one of the husbandry factors to check if you see such problems - right up there with temps, etc.

KJ

Old 09-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
oculus
Thanks for the reply.

Yea i have stopped smoking completly in the room where oculus is kept. I would preferr my snake to die of natural causes ie old age than a stupid mistake that could have been dealt with at the start.

Again to the sound, im just gonna keep the music down, rather safe than sorry. I've only had him 1 day but its like i've known him my whole life, would probably break me to lose him now <3

Again thanks for the reply.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
marike
There was a discussion about snakes and music lately. Maybe interesting for you.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86426

Old 09-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
wade
I don’t know, I think my snakes seem happier when there is a little cannabis in the air. They seem, you know, mellow. Kickin’ back, livin’ large. Have you ever seen a Green Tree Python go into a giggle fit? It will just warm your cockles.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Nanci
Did you ever lick your fingers after smoking? They are covered with poisonous nicotine. Or whatever. I'd wash my hands really, really well before handling a snake, after smoking. Plus the only one lung thing that KJ mentioned.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #7
northwestcorns
I'm not experienced with nicotine and snakes, BUT I am experienced in nicotine and kids. I see the result of kids that are exposed to nicotine every single night in the ER. Babies whose parents smoke come in all of the time with severe asthma reactions. A lot of these parents smoke outside, but they forget to wash their hands. Just the contact with their nicotine-tainted fingers causes extreme bronchiole constriction and can result in some nasty asthma exacerbations. I always stress to these parents PLEASE wear a jacket or something when you go out to smoke. Then, leave the jacket outside, wash your hands up to your elbows for at least 30 seconds with soap and water, and wash your face and brush your teeth as well. Even those parents who use chewing tobacco get the "please wash your hands and face and brush your teeth prior to handling the baby" speech.

It stands to reason that a tiny little snake, with only one REAL lung, would experience symptoms of airway constriction if exposed to smoke or nicotine.

However, there are lots of diehard smokers whose kids have never had asthma or sore throats or frequent colds (also common for smoke-exposed kids). I'm sure they'll state vehemently that they've smoked in the same room with their snakes for xyz years and never had a negative experience. I strictly speak from my experience as an Human ER Nurse. Maybe this doesn't apply to snakes.

I would suggest that it wouldn't hurt to smoke in another room and wash your hands thoroughly before handling.

sorry this was so long. I didn't start out to be this verbose.