CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

help with my mom

Old 07-15-2004, 11:21 AM   #1
blink41nofx
help with my mom

ok my mom said i can get one but she also said i cant get one thats eats bigger animals (like mice) so is there any snakes that dont eat bigger animals

lol i just had to do that

Old 07-15-2004, 11:26 AM   #2
cornsnake234
Greensnakes eat crikets...

Old 07-15-2004, 11:33 AM   #3
blink41nofx
ok but are they good as pets and could i get one from a pet store and are there any others

Old 07-15-2004, 11:35 AM   #4
Krenna
If you want a snake that does not eat rodents, a good choice is a rough green snake. However they don't like much handling. They eat crickets, and soft bodied insects. They like climbing so if you get one make sure you have a viv that has alot of branches and vines. They are also active durning the day and sleep at night.

The rough green are a look but don't touch type of snake. There is also a catch 22 with the rough green, not many people have success in keeping them because most are w/c and refuse to eat in a captive situation.

A garter snake start on insect but move up to small fish and pinkies. Garter snakes are a less fragile then green snakes, however you will have to bump up the food with a garter snake.

I would highly suggest doing some research on different types of snakes and go from there.

Old 07-15-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
blink41nofx
what about worms i heard garter snakes also eat worms

Old 07-15-2004, 11:45 AM   #6
Krenna
I only know a little about garter snakes, I suggest if you want to learn more about them to look on the internet on information about that type of snake.

Old 07-15-2004, 11:59 AM   #7
blink41nofx
alright yea they can also eat earthworms

Old 07-15-2004, 12:39 PM   #8
Amanda E
I really don't have a suggestion regarding what type of snake would be good, but if you do get a garter, don't feed it just earthworms, because they don't have much nutrition to them. Garters need a variety of foods.

Old 07-15-2004, 01:09 PM   #9
Neumann
Okay. I understand how you feel. I wasn't able to have snakes as a boy either because my mother was/is "extremely afraid" of snakes so I didn't really pursue it. However, as an adult my wife and I purchased our teenage daughter a corn snake and haven't regretted it. We have enjoyed the first one so much we now have two.

I also understand your mother's point of view. Initially I too had a problem with the idea of feeding a dead mouse to a snake. I wasn't keen on dealing with the dead mice or, more importantly, keeping them in our freezer! This is what we did: First, my daughter and I did independent research on pet snakes and we both came up with corns as good pets. The only problem was the mice. I too didn't want to deal with the mice but wasn't entirely closed minded to the idea as long as we didn't have to deal with any larger prey- no big fat rats. Next, I found out that one of my business associates kids keeps an adult corn snake so I arranged a visit with them to see how large the snake was, check it's temperament and watch it eat an adult mouse. This way both me and my daughter could assess exactly what we were getting ourselves into- the worst case scenario I guess you might say. Much to my surprise their snake (about 3.5 feet long) was very relaxed and also very beautiful. It's skin was soft, not slimy or scaly and seeing the look on my daughters face when she first held it was enough to melt my heart. On the other hand, I hadn't seen it feed yet so... next, their son thawed out a mouse in a cup of water and placed their snake with the mouse. At first I felt a little sorry for the mouse and was a little grossed out seeing it in a cup of water but once again I was surprised. I had expected a violent constriction, blood, gore and general snake on mouse mayhem. Instead, the snake simply picked up the mouse and began to swallow it whole. Within a few minutes it was in it's belly and their son placed the snake back in it's cage. Not only did it not bother me as I had expected, but I was fascinated by the simplicity and calmness of their critter. After discussing the whole thing with my wife, who is really quite agnostic about it, we decided to get an Anery corn and later an Okeetee.

Perhaps you should do something similar with your mother. She's going to have to live with a snake too so she may as well find out what it's all about. As with us, your mother may find out it's not really as bad as it first seems and corn snakes make excellent pets. Good luck!

Old 07-15-2004, 01:28 PM   #10
blink41nofx
yup well i totally forgot about the whole buying the frozen already dead mice and i told my mom about that and she had that same i dsont want a dead mouse in my freezer(lol i can understand) but i said i wud put them in my basment freezer in the back so now i just have to keep my room clean for a reasonalbly long amount of time and keep it clean(i guess to show how responsible i am) and then i can hopefully get one well im gunna try to clean the whole house b 4 she gets home (i ws talkin to her on msn shes at work) so maybe that will help

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google