CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Button quail

Old 01-31-2020, 05:42 PM   #11
james1QB
Quote:
I raise both Button and Coturnix quail for food. I use the eggs to feed my egg eating snakes. They both hatch out after 17 days incubation and are crazy cute. You'll need to grind their feed at first if you are using either crumbles or pellets. They grow very fast; pullets laying eggs at 6 weeks post hatch. The hens are prolific layers too. I get eggs 6 out of seven days a week and all winter if I give them light. I keep them outside all winter in the coop with the my chickens (they have their own enclosure). I don't provide additional heat but I do have heated waterers because it gets very cold here in the winter. I've never lost an animal to weather but I did lose a colony to a racoon. It reached into the pen and pulled the quails wings and legs through the wire and then chewed them off. It was awful. So I changed the housing design and eliminated the murderer. Otherwise they are one of the easiest animals I own.
BTW the eggs are delicious! If you end up with more than one male, you will need to
It was pretty cold winter in our area, that why we've been insulating our Large SnapLock Formex

Old 01-31-2020, 05:45 PM   #12
james1QB
When we were looking for different options of chicken coops, we've been looking Petsfit Weatherproof and Large SnapLock Formex ( from here: https://bestyardproducts.com/best-chicken-coops/ ). And we've purchased the second one because it's way more functional that PetsFit, and it's large enough in size so that there is enough room for the hens to run all around, inside the coop, and plenty of space for inner insulation as well.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:05 PM   #13
crackerhead
"Pretty cold" is a relative term. When I use that term I thinking 9F, as opposed to Freaking cold which is -14F. We get both temps in a regular winter here in Northern IL. Sadly I don't think the SnapLock Formex coops would do well in our wide temp swings. It looks like a nice product. How does it hold up in direct sunlight and heat?
Terri

Old 02-18-2020, 03:13 PM   #14
67temp
Successful feeder testing.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:22 PM   #15
Lore
Wow! I had no idea corns would eat quail eggs. Very cool

Old 05-19-2020, 02:48 PM   #16
Mike_Es
Why not? We're growing quails together with chicken in a coop, using the same feeder that we use for chicken. Actually any of these is fine

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google