CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Adopting snake that eats live -- I want to feed frozen

Old 06-13-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
LadyJemima
Adopting snake that eats live -- I want to feed frozen

So...title says it all. This is a 3-year-old. I asked if she eats frozen, and they said "she will." Can I expect any problems switching over? If so, how would I get about the process?

Old 06-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
you won't know until you try.

But a mouse is a mouse dead or alive. Hold it by the tail and wiggle it in front of the snake. The snake will think it's alive and strike at it.

That's how I feed my snake and he literally "Launches Himself" at the mouse. If I don't wiggle it, a lot of times he doesn't even pay attention to it.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #3
Twolunger
I use long tongs to hold the mouse near the snake until it flicks its tongue and moves towards the prey. I move the prey away slowly keeping the snake's attention and if the snake follows, it usually triggers a strike. Usually after a couple feedings the snake will take frozen thawed, if not follow the same method. Obviously, we try to mimic live prey, and you may have to move the mouse around to keep the snake's interest.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
DLena
I've converted BP's. After doing the wiggle and zombie dance routine, one ate, two did not. I got a mouse, set him up in a small sterilite tub with care fresh bedding for two weeks without cleaning it. Relocated Mr. Rumples to a big tub, complete with wheel and those plastic tube maze things. Put the BP in the little tub with all that mouse smell, offered a ft hopper on tongs and bingo! It worked just as well for the second BP. I had to feed them that way, weekly, for a month, adding in "fresh" smelly bedding. Then I just used the bedding to scent the ft hopper 2 times, and then they took the ft right off the tongs just like everyone else. So it took 6 weeks, and the cost of mouse supplies. If you know someone with mice, you can just get their smelly bedding. At first, I got dirty bedding free from a pet store, but it wasn't dirty enough or enough quantity to do the job.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google