• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

what two corns would you have to breed to get . . .

amelanistic stirped corn

To get an amelanistic striped corn, both parents must be carrying at least one amel gene and at least one striped gene at the motley location.

Any combination of the following has the potential to give striped amels in varying ratios:

Striped Amel
Striped het for amel
Amel het striped
Motley stripe amel
Motley stripe het for amel
Normal het amel and striped

So...I have a question then

Ok so I have a normal stripe (m) with no known hets and a regular amel (f) with no known hets. If I crossed them, the F1's would be all normals het amel and het stripe? Is that right? Would they look like normal corns?
And then if I crossed the F1's in the F2 generation I would have a small chance of getting an amelanistic stripe?
Is this right?
Help! Anyone?

iris,
the F1 woud be all normal-loking double hets and the F2 would give you 1/16 striped amels. :) ---jim

more ?tions . . . heheee

what does HET mean ? ? ? i have wondered that for a long time but i have never asked anyone, and what is all this F1 & F2 thingy ?!?!?! is there a website with a tutorial on it or something lol !!! sorry if i sound a bit thick!!

KRIS

Well I kind of learned this stuff in Bio but if I tried to explain it I would mess it up sooooooo badly.
Here is a link to the Genetics section of Serpwidget's website.
http://serpwidgets.com/cornsnakes/Genetics/genetics.html
It helps if you know a little bit of basic genetics so you can follow along more easily but even if you don't he explains everything really well.

Thanks Jim. A 1/16 chance? Sounds kinda slim...I'd probably be better off just buying an amel stripe but since I'm planning on breeding these two in the future anyway....
Plus I'd love to see what kind of normals I'd get in the F1.
:)

Back