CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Cornwallis tried have me for lunch

Old 05-14-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
HeavenHell
Unhappy Cornwallis tried have me for lunch

So I was giving all the snakes a bath today. I like to do that from time to time as occasionally they will slither through their own poo before I get a chance to remove it. Anyway it was Cornwallis's turn so I pulled him out of the viv and set him in the tub of room temperature water. Some background, this is an Okeetee with a very good temperment. He's never stuck a pose or rattled his tail let alone tried to bite. The water felt cool to me, so I'm sure it was cool to him as well. After a minute or two in the water I pulled him out. He seemed to enjoy the warm of my hand as he coiled around it and squeezed a bit. He then started pressing he head against my hand like his does with a pink. Next thing I know his mouth is opened and he's biting my hand. It didn't hurt but it surprised me. I blew on him and he let go. But a minute later he did it again and then again and then again. A couple of the bites drew a little blood. So now I'm trying to get him off my hand but I can feel him squeezing harder. Each time I try and unwrap his tail he's gnawing on my hand again. I'm saying hey let go, ouch, DAMIT, but of course he couldn't understand me. I finally got his tail loose and coaxed him to crawl onto the carpeting. I picked him up and put him back in his viv. So, what just happened?

I know I didn't smell like mouse because it wasn't feeding day and I had just taken a shower. If anything my hands smelled a bit like shampoo. I guess colorwise my hands/fingers do look a bit like a peach fuzzy, but for the record he's never gone after them before. Anyway it wasn't a very pleasant experience. He even got me in the area between two fingers a couple of times. I'm glad he's still fairly small, weighing in at around 88 grams.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
VickyChaiTea
It's entirely possible that he was simply hungry and you were warm. Some snakes have a strong feeding response, it doesn't always show up right away either.

He was hungry, and his instincts said to eat the nearest warm moving object. lol

Old 05-14-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
VickyChaiTea
Also, it was most likely a curiosity thing. Sort of like a "I'm hungry... this is warm, but I'm not sure I can eat it... let me give it a try." type of thing. He may never do it again now that he knows he cannot eat you.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
HeavenHell
Talking

Oh, I think the tub of water I put him in probably made him think of his feeding bin and that triggered his feeding response.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Naagas
He thought you were feeding him your hand!
How nice of you, to donate your hand to your snake for lunch!!

Old 05-18-2011, 03:10 AM   #6
WingedSweetheart
One of my corns does this to me sometimes. It's funny the way she will slowly press her nose into a part of my body and then slowly open her mouth. Then it's snap and squeeze with all her might! After she does this she keeps trying it again. I've found she only does it if I'm kinda sweaty.

My kingsnake does it if I smell like sweat, citrus, or cherry blossom. Maybe your snake has a thing for your shampoo :P

Old 05-19-2011, 01:56 AM   #7
Naagas
One of my snakes just tried to eat me when I was feeding tonight- but she tried to grab my chest- right up by my neck. Obviously she couldn't get a good grip. It was so strange.
Then she proceeded to eat her mouse with much enthusiasm. Once she realized I am not a mouse. ;-)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google