• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

big DIY...

xreinx

size... 2X2X6 feet.
so far.. two shelves, 1 hot shelf. glass.
set up for one pump, one filter.
unseen in the pictures, but two covered vents and a tiny fan on top for air intake.

I plan on adding a waterfall cascading from one cuplike ledge to another, starting on the top right wall, dropping down to the left wall to finally fall into the bottem of the vivarium.

Having problems with;
1) ordering Round glass thick enough for the top of the viv and heat resistant enough to keep from cracking,
2) figuring out where the Blockage for the pump filter is located (may have to just do a PVC pipe connected to the back, rerouted to the outside of the viv)
3) and finding finding the cups for the waterfall, may have to just Make my own.
4) finding Lights that will reach all the way to the bottem of the Viv. may have to put a place for hidden lights, down near the bottem.

I know you all have good Ideas, I like this website. cause it Opened my eyes and showed me the light.. some months AFTER I sarted My project (they make it look so easy).. and thanks again to the people for the front loading Tank ideas, ive been looking for that Idea for a long time now.

http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/how-to-build-a-waterfall.html

any other Ideas before I start grouting it? I know I missed some important things, but I just dont know what they are yet... about ready to call it quits. (I know I am so close to finishing, but still so ready to just quit)

FYI Its SO much Easyer to use polystyrene = Styrofoam, and a Hot knife! it will cut the cost and Time in half! (learned that 300.00+ dollars and 5 months invested into the project) And it will make a much better background, witch shower grout will readily stick to, to make a Nice thick shell that you can easily coat with a nontoxic coating. (project is taking me nearly a year to compleat)

Really Starting to hate this project. it may end up out on the sidewalk after I finish it, with a forsale sign slapped across the glass.

Attachments

• 003 modified.jpg
    003 modified.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 575
  • 007 ajusted.jpg
    007 ajusted.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 575
er.. ok, sure, more pics. and it hasent been fun.. its been a nightmare. A 3 week project turned into 10 months. And its not even cornsnake worthy. but sure, more pics.

pics this time

had to crop a lot, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• viv1.jpg
    viv1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 544
  • viv2.jpg
    viv2.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 547
It sure looks like a lot of work... Don't you hate it when things don't go as planned?

yea, I tried out the water hose.. and found it blocked.. Somewhere under all that insulation foam, the water wasent going threw. the pump I was using ended up in the trash due to the amount of time I had it plugged in and the water just trickling threw, I tried it before I installed the tube and it lifted the water the entire 6 and a half feet Just fine.. I learned, big time, PVC all the way, it saves time, and you can work around it if you put it in first.

oh and get this.. I started a SECOND project some months back.. the same kind, except it is made from glass (got a free tank that is 5 feet long, the back is cracked in places, and it isnt sealed, but I figured I could work around that) so... thats sitting off to the side.. I am NOT touching that one though, until this one is finished.

where should I put the PVC pipe? inside or along the outside? its been driving me nuts, Id like to make it easyer for me to deal with if something goes wrong.

pish no, I cant keep him out of there, they both sharpen their claws on the foam, he jumps around on all the shelves, (accually broke one the other day, he apparently is a fat kitty) the other day he was walking around the top, and I heard a snap, so I think its leaning to the side now.. if you look at the support pole, its bowed inwards. It was going to be for my snakes, but I put it on its end... and the snake tank Idea kinda went out the window. so now, its going to have a bottem that can hold water, and have a waterfall... if I can ever finish it..

cant wait to see the finished result.hmm i would close ofg the other outlets in my opinion....i was planning on doing a diy mice racks cuz im getting overloaded but my fiance says now thats hes going to do it...he apparently dosent want me to either end up in the hospital or mess up anything.....i say not fair!

Lol, messing up anything? you need to tell him, hay.. I can do this! (then drop something and say Oops) one of the things that drove my beau nuts was Id tell him to do it now.., or Id do it.. he hated that.. cause if he left it, Id end up doing it, and sometimes, Id just mess it up for him.

Its not that Heavy yet.. But...I still need to add Glass.. big glass.. and grout.. and I guess.. since theres nothing else I really need to do, Ill start grouting that .. tonight.. as soon as I get the hose fitting in for the pump, Thats going to be fun, ive got to figure out some way to lay it on its side now, without crushing anything on the back, and grout the entire thing.

Hmmm.. another question! what Color should the finish background be? white? red? black? what do you think? I was thinking maybe white.. but would that be too bright?

oh FYI on the Manifolds.. I found it by chance the first time I did a viv. its a Lifesaver, so if anyones thinking about starting a viv, either now or in the future... hurry and Get one of those for later, when I started this project, I didnt have one, it took just about a Year for me to find it again, and I just got it in the other day, (has two extra this time) it comes in Handy for Anything you might be doing, Plants outside, Plants inside, DIY projects anywhere. This VIV wouldent be half as nice without the Manifold that I have up top.

Lol! As far as color I would def go with something dark.Would make everything else stand out imo.Black Dark blue Dark green ya get the idea lol

Really? alright, but black is going to be hard to pull off.. ill have to find someplace that sells black acrylic paint or something. Ill order the glass for the fixed side tommorrow, (winces at the idea of price) I already have the one for the bottem side ready to put on. Thats going to be fun..

That base outside seam is going to get sealed, then a brace put in and Thats going to get grouted, there isnt going to be any room for it to shift and start leaking, Ive got hard wood floors in my house and I really dont want to take the chance of any leaks or spills.
can you tell Ive put a lot of thought into this?
I think its still going Bye bye after its done.

Man if I could afford to do something like that I would in a heart beat !Why would it go bye bye :(( I think if I mastered DIY project like that it would def stay with me lol!The black was just an idea :) You could go with a green -light green if you are going to have some foilage in there

Back