CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Why does she keep looking at me?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
Haya Tha'baan
Why does she keep looking at me?

I'm taking care of her...feeding (though while seemingly hungry, she resists eating most of the time), temperature, cleaning, watering, etc. She gets more active this time of year (which makes me assume maybe she's a he...tried to call her by a different gender, but it just didn't stick ).

She keeps starting at me though. Instead of hiding and sleeping during the day, she is visible and staring at me nearly 24 hours a day and staying in essentially in the exact same pose. Kind of creeping me out and makes me think that she wants something.

Any ideas?

Old 03-10-2011, 04:27 AM   #2
alpine
Pick her up? Maybe she wants to play.

Sometimes I catch mine watching me play Call of Duty.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
oneirogenesis
Snakes do that. Ariadne's viv is on our nightstand next to the bed, right beside my boyfriend's pillow. When he goes to bed she will sometimes come out, snuggle up to the glass beside his head and watch him sleep for hours. Maybe snakes get bored and need something to watch, too.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Gungirl
Oneirogenesis I have to say that is to freaking cute! I have noticed that Ivan will sometimes seem to be watching tv with my son in the afternoon. He will sit on top of his tallest log and just look at it like he knows what he is watching.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
***Beth***
Mine likes to watch me or follow the cats if they walk by the cage. Maybe they're just watching/attracted to moving heat sources...

Old 03-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
JohnnyK
Nothing too unusual; just more of a social snake on your hands I would guess. We have two snakes, one is very social and will come out whenever people are in the room regardless of the time of day; the other, more typical perhaps, as he will only come out after dinner time. Our social snake, appropriately given the name Snoops, will often come to the side of his tank that I might be on; his tank is between a couch and a rocker in our living room and he'll move to whatever side of the tank I'm closer too. He also watches TV heavily; rests his head on a piece of driftwood and watches the colors flash on the screen. He also likes to be handled a lot; so we take him out about 4-5 times a week for around an hour at a time.

As others said, perhaps your snake just wants some more handling time outside of the tank? Sounds like you just have a more social snake to me...

Old 03-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
boobookity
my 4 year old normal was a recent purchase from a pet store that he spent his entire life at and i think he is very grateful for companionship..he loves to b handled and explore everything. think his favorite things are watching out bay window and watching our guppies swim round tank!! he is really funny because he enjoys the dogs!! they share a pillow when they are both chilling on the bed!! too cute!! good luck with your baby he seems awesome!! you are very lucky!! enjoy!!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #8
Caryl
You're fortunate to have one that likes to watch the world go by. Snakes like this are a lot of fun to keep. Babies are often (not always) shy, as many things eat them in nature. As they come to feel secure in their home, many of them become the way you describe yours. More of mine are like that than not.

There's another basic corn snake personality I like to call "inviso-snake." You won't see these animals unless you dig them out of their hides, and they're not very entertaining to have around.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
StephT
I always thought I was being silly, thinking that our snake was watching TV with us! Good to know others experience this too. Our's is particularly fond of darts!

Old 03-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
Ares2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobookity View Post
my 4 year old normal was a recent purchase from a pet store that he spent his entire life at and i think he is very grateful for companionship..he loves to b handled and explore everything. think his favorite things are watching out bay window and watching our guppies swim round tank!! he is really funny because he enjoys the dogs!! they share a pillow when they are both chilling on the bed!! too cute!! good luck with your baby he seems awesome!! you are very lucky!! enjoy!!
that is so cute. Mine just want to hide all the time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google